C2D Macbook vs Pro???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Hello everyone, I recently got an iPad in a trade but since I have an iPhone 4S I don't really have that much of a use for it so I was thinking of selling or trading it for a Mac upgrade. I was looking @ the C2D unibodies and was wondering what the difference between the Pro and the regular macbook was with the 13" versions. If they both have a 2.2ghz CPU for example does that mean they are identical except for the word Pro being on one and not the other?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Pro model has a backlighted keyboard and a firewire 800 port. There may be other differences as well. If you have the two model numbers on hand you can download the free MacTracker and compare them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also Aluminum Vs Plastic. Even though that Macbook is Unibody it's still plastic. The build quality is better on the Pro as well as what Chscag said and I think there are a few other things also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Generally speaking, in addition to the above.

Faster available (and base level) processors, more available cache, more RAM density (comes with, and are upgradable to more), discrete graphics card, multi-touch trackpad appeared earlier, Oh and SD slot or xpresscard slot.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I was thinking of the aluminum unibody MacBook not the plastic one. So are the graphics the same as well?

Edit: didn't see that last post, thanks. It looks like it will be worth trying to get a pro then :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure why but there seemed to be a lot of issues reported with that one Macbook. I saw it at the grand opening of our Apple store here in town but it did not last very long on the market and I did see a lot of people with issues with that machine.

Also no Firewire port. That is a deal breaker for me.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thanks for your advice everyone, how long do you think this pro will be good for before I should need to replace it? I wanted to max out the RAM to 8gb and the HDD to 1tb (possibly) and make it my main machine in hopes that it will run whatever I throw at it. I do light programming (atm) and light gaming, as well as heavy photo editing using Aperture, and in the summer a little bit of movie making (possibly with final cut pro X if i'm able to get it). Is it worth spending the extra $$$ on to upgrade it? Currently I have a Core Duo polycarbonate macbook 2Ghz and I feel that it's starting to fall apart a little on me (bezels are wanting to crack every where), it can't support enough RAM (I maxed it out at 2gb) it can't run lion which I would like with launch pad and i cloud, and worst of all it gets hot, the cores act up, the fans scream and it starts to lag. It does this even when playing mine craft (basic building, no explosions lots of general roaming around) My point is I feel that soon it won't be supported by anything and will become a pia to use for what I need it to do. I don't want to be in this situation by next year after getting another machine esp since I haven't had my current machine for a year. Can I go at least another two years if I got the C2D?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.