inability to the start-up or reinstall Mac OS X

Reaction score
last night, my laptop crashed and was forced to restart. When I did so my computer remained on the grey start-up screen for a very long time. Then proceeded to show me a no entry sign (or a folder with question mark over it flashing). On investigation resolve this issue I discovered the reinstallation of OS X would be the most expedient manner to fix it.

Once I inserted my operating system disk and began the installation process be the disk utility or the OS X install that could detect my hard drive. So I assumed that the hard drive was at fault, I proceeded to remove it and test it in my PC. I found that I could see it the Boot Camp partition, as I expected. All the data and files were still accessible and non-corrupted. I then proceeded to reformat my drive into NTFS. So that it would be zero and hopefully recognisable to disk utility or the installer.

Once I replace the hard drive into my laptop the same result followed that I was unable to detect the hard drive with disk utility or the installer.

I'm asking whether anyone has had experience of this, or has a solution. It appears to me that my hard drive is intact and it could be an issue with my motherboard but I'm not sure.

Other information: The operating system on trying to install the Snow Leopard, on a 2009 MacBook Pro 13 inch.

Martin V

Reaction score
I'm having what seems to be the same problem with 2010 Macbook pro 13. I did not try try operating disk. this is my first Mac so i'm kinda lost on what to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.