Is the Power Mac a dead platform

Reaction score
My existing PowerMac in 6 years old and I'm looking to upgrade. the question is will Apple come out with a new version soon?

The current offering is a little long in the tooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Apple hasn't used a PowerPC processor since the switch to Intel in 06. I don't suspect they'll go back to that architecture.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A Power Mac is a Power PC computer. The last Power Mac was the G5 Quad Core Power PC tower.

Do you mean Mac Pro? A Mac Pro is a Xeon Intel that looks like the Power Mac G5 but not even close otherwise.

If you have a Mac Pro we do not know as Apple has not updated it in ages. There are Rumors of it being Axed, but they are excellent machines still.

OP
T
Reaction score
Duh!

Okay that's what I get for being out of the market for so long. I don't know the names of the new models.

My appologies.

Yes it's the intel based machine I want. However, they're not good enough at the current price and performance.

I could buy 3 top of the line iMacs for the price of a top line mac pro.

To bad :-(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not a problem, was just telling you why you got the answer you did! :D

They cost quite a lot for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're running sever level processors. Do you really need that kind of horsepower? Most people won't even begin to tax one. I'd be all over one, really. I just can't justify it, not one bit.

I do have friends who have them, and use the snot out of them. They do professional video work.

btw, they don't update as often because in many ways they don't need to update as often

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
btw, they don't update as often because in many ways they don't need to update as often

Because what can be updated can be done by yourself as they are highly customisable.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
They were useful if you wanted a professional hi-res monitor on top of having the fastest processors. But with a 27" iMac and the i7 processor and an SSD, I can't imagine anybody really needing anything more, but I don't do any professional work on a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I wanted a Powermac as well until I found out that Apple (rumor) is no longer updating them. The price is also a little outdated too. The new Imacs can be pretty powerful and you can upgrade them through apple or yourself if you need bigger specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys really don't want to know what I paid for my Quadra back in the day.. They were about $7500... base. (the point of which is.. bang for the buck is much improved.)

A 6 core Xenon, alone, will run about $800-$1100.. depending on your shopping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I haven't had a Mac very long but in my opinion Apple dropped the ball on the Macpro. Not updating this has done an injustice o the faithful that have bought Macpros and use it for professional use. Again just my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.