Will this machine run OS Lion?

Reaction score
Long story short, Going to get a macbook ASAP, too poor to afford new one so going for a 2008 - 2009 model.
Will a A1181 Model run OS Lion?
If not will it run Snow Leopard?
It's already running Leopard
Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It looks like the 2008-2009 model came with a Core2Duo processor which is needed for Lion to work. A CoreDuo processor is not enough..

So confirm that is the minimal processor in there and you should be OK. You also probably want to upgrade the RAM to the maximum allowed.

It will definitely run Snow Leopard..

OP
MrClungeHead
Reaction score
As long as itll take snow leopard its all good, alot of people havnt got Lion yet anyway, same situation as when Vista come out then Windows 7, so many people still use XP
Next OS release wont be for a few years atleast anyway so Dont need to worry about updating

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I wouldn't really compare Windows releases to Mac OS releases..Vista was, as Microsoft themselves put it, a disaster that was corrected in Windows 7, so a lot of folks are jumping from XP to Windows 7..

That apart, I've upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard and now to Lion and don't regret it one bit..there is nothing in Lion that prevented me from upgrading and the adoption rate has been very strong in general..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A 2008 Macbook will run Lion great. Just be sure there is 2GB RAM or more. 4GB would be better. Only the first 2006 MacBooks will not run Lion as they use a Core Duo 32-Bit CPU.

If you want the iCloud at all, Lion is the only way.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm currently running Lion on my 2008 MB Pro with 4 GB of ram. It's my primary machine. I occasionally get the multi-colored beach ball but that is usually with several apps open and screen sharing on to control a Mac in another room.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.