cas 2 memory in imacs (g5)???

C

coho

here's an interesting question for the enthusiasts...i'm a pc guy looking to add some memory to a computer illiterate friend's 1.8ghz/20" imac g5 so he can actually meet the system requirements for world of warcraft (he currently only has 256mb).

Either I'm not searching in the right places or there is very little information out there because i can't find very detailed information of memory configurations in the imacs. because i'm a 21 hour drive away from the machine i also can't inspect it myself. from what i understand, macs are pretty finicky when it comes to spd timings for dimm compatibility correct? and i also understand that the 256mb dimm that came with the machine is pc3200 and likely has timings of 3-3-3-8.

now, i could purchase another 1gb stick of memory of the same timings and add it to the machine OR...i was wondering about maybe trying to get "more power". You see, upon reading this article: http://developer.apple.com/documenta...y05/index.html

it seems that the g5's can accept cas 2 memory??!! i see that powermacs can handle it So...i was wondering if anyone has any insight onto the viability of me say removing the default 256mb dimm and adding 1gb of cas 2 memory? in searching any way i know how i can't seem to find any information on this. I'd also be interested to know whether or not the imac's performance would actually benefit from cas2 and/or 1gb of cas2 would result in more or less gaming performance than compared to 1.25gb of cas3? Any help or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Sorry, but I haven't heard of CAS 2 in an iMac.
The Apple Store's upgrade memory is DDR 400 PC3200. I would just stick with that. (Of course, you don't need to get it from Apple, they're a bit over-priced)

OP
C

coho

validpretense said:
Sorry, but I haven't heard of CAS 2 in an iMac.
The Apple Store's upgrade memory is DDR 400 PC3200. I would just stick with that. (Of course, you don't need to get it from Apple, they're a bit over-priced)

yeah, noone seems to know about this. thanks for the heads up on apple's store...in looking around i've noticed it's much cheaper elsewhere

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Cas 2 is the latency of the memory module - all memory is cas rated, even the old PC100. In the iMac Apple tends to use PC3200 with a cas latency of 2.5.

A memory module with a cas latency of 2 could work providing you did not mix latencies of modules as this can cause problems and crashes since one module has a faster latency than the other.

As for speed increase using cas 2 as opposed to say cas 3, you would notice very little, given the speed of the machine in the first place.

For the best compatibility, with an excellent warranty, I would suggest trying crucial, where you can choose the exact iMac model to ensure the correct compatibility.

OP
C

coho

thanks for all the input...

i didn't end up doing the cas 2 bit...just snagged a 1gig stick of ocz and played it safe. my friend says he noticed a substantial increase in WoW performance which is what he wanted.

Kyomii said:
Cas 2 is the latency of the memory module - all memory is cas rated, even the old PC100. In the iMac Apple tends to use PC3200 with a cas latency of 2.5.

A memory module with a cas latency of 2 could work providing you did not mix latencies of modules as this can cause problems and crashes since one module has a faster latency than the other.

As for speed increase using cas 2 as opposed to say cas 3, you would notice very little, given the speed of the machine in the first place.

For the best compatibility, with an excellent warranty, I would suggest trying crucial, where you can choose the exact iMac model to ensure the correct compatibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.