06 White iMac Memory Slots

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.9.1 - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB ram
I have a late 2006 white iMac 20-Inch with a 2.16 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor. I currently have 2 - 512 MB Memory cards & upgrading to what is Apples recommended 3GB configuration. Yes, I've heard that some say you can go to 4GB. I was told to install the 2GB memory closer to the processor, but how do I know which slot that would be???

Appreciate any help in advance... Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really... No Answer???
Is there no priority slot????
Does it make a difference???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have the service manual. Let me see if it says anything and I will post back.

EDIT: The manual says nothing about where the modules go. Just shows you how to install and remove them and says 3GB Max. If you put in 4GB in that machine, only 3 will show up I am told.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I was told my 06 Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) could only take 2x1gb memory sticks for a max of 2gb. With one slot not working I was limited to 1gb. I should have had this fixed while under Applecare but didn't. It is now long out of warranty.

A few months back, while browsing this forum, someone commented that he tried 2x2gb in the same machine but it wouldn't work. When he took out one of the 2gb sticks, he could boot AND it came up as 2gb recognized. I immediately bought a 2gb stick at J&R and put it in and indeed it does work.

The moral here is try it, it may just work in spite of what the manual says.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the service manual. Let me see if it says anything and I will post back.

EDIT: The manual says nothing about where the modules go. Just shows you how to install and remove them and says 3GB Max. If you put in 4GB in that machine, only 3 will show up I am told.

Thanks for your input... I going with the 3Gb just to avoid any problems. When the memory arrives, I will take the plate off & see if the slots may be numbered 1 & 2. If so, I'll put the 2Gb chip in slot 1 & the 1Gb chip in slot 2. I have found a lot of info, but nothing that says there is a dominant slot. Very Interesting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I was told my 06 Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) could only take 2x1gb memory sticks for a max of 2gb. With one slot not working I was limited to 1gb. I should have had this fixed while under Applecare but didn't. It is now long out of warranty.

A few months back, while browsing this forum, someone commented that he tried 2x2gb in the same machine but it wouldn't work. When he took out one of the 2gb sticks, he could boot AND it came up as 2gb recognized. I immediately bought a 2gb stick at J&R and put it in and indeed it does work.

The moral here is try it, it may just work in spite of what the manual says.

I remember when you posted on the forums about that a while back, really good to know that it will actually register 1, 2GB module instead of only 2x1GB modules. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.