Trying to connect MacBook to Sony monitor

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a recent convert to Mac products. I'm trying to connect a MacBook to a Sony display monitor. The monitor connects fine to a desktop windows PC, but I am not pushing the the right buttons to connect my MacBook. I'm using a mini display port to VGA connection. As soon as I plug it in, I see the background of the Macbook but that's it. And the mouse goes nuts - will hardly move. Can any of you seasoned users share your wisdom? Thank you so much!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook. 2GHz Core 2 Duo. 3GB DDR2 RAM. 320GB HDD. OSX (10.6.8)
Does the desktop background picture show up on the external monitor? If that's all that comes up then Extended Desktop is enabled. You can drag a window from your MacBook screen to the external monitor. If you just want to mirror what on your screen, go to the Displays menu in the menu bar or in System Preferences and click on "Turn Video Mirroring On." The cursor going crazy on the other hand, I have no idea what would cause that to happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.