Launchpad Manager?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to Lion, and I'm really enamored with the Launchpad feature. What I am not enamored with, however, is maintenance of it. I already got Launchpad Control to delete the very many items that I didn't need to appear. But rearranging the icons is taking absolutely forever. Dragging one at a time from screen to screen. That works well on an iPhone, perhaps, but not on a desktop.

Surely there has to be a better (faster) way... Does anybody know of one?

Thanks,

Z

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
Dude, that's brilliant. Thank you.

I don't suppose you might know of a way to navigate through list with the keyboard? I already mapped the app itself to F8. But from within it, I can't navigate without the mouse (except from page to page).

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
Okay - Well your brilliance exposed a rather strange behavior. For some reason, Launchpad is deciding to put some things on one page and others on a second page.

For example, Chrome, when I added it, went in perfectly and took first position on the first page. Then I added iBooks Author, which took second position. Then Illustrator, which ended up on the second page (as did Acrobat, InDesign, and Photoshop).

Color me unsurprised to find out that Apple's Aperture and the App Store programs ended up on the first page, while Art Director's Toolkit went to the second page.

Something strange is going on here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Yeah I was using sqlitedbrowser to look at the db - and I am no expert at sql - but it seems there are hooks that put certain applications on certain pages within the db. But I am not sure where they are or how to modify it. Maybe someone with more sql experience could say something about it.

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
I don't think we need to try. It's pretty clear to me now that Launchpad is a nice idea that, uncharacteristically of Apple, is completely FUBAR. It just re-added everything I removed. I'm completely beside myself.

(sigh)

Thanks, again, for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.