ipad send picture to nework location

Reaction score
hi new on here so hopefully in right place.

i'm a school teacher and currently using my ipad to help in my lessons (finding it very useful as well)

one thing i'm finding very difficult is .. if i take a photo of a pupils work for records i have to e mail it to myself then place it in the correct folder on our network ... is there an app or way that I can send the photo directly to the network location without e mailing it to myself.

Thanks for any support

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You might find Dropbox a valuable tool. Install it on the computer that is connected to the Network, install the free application on the iPad, this will now allow you to send the photos directly to the compter's Dropbox folder and from there you can copy (either manually or automatically) to the network folder..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What is the network location? Is it a Samba share, a Mac Share, an FTP site?

Note that dropbox is a good idea but it may violate your schools privacy policy as dropbox keeps everything backed up online. If you do use it - and you have a computer running you could do something like rsync with dropbox.
Tyler's Blog: Dropbox With rsync: My Simple Script To Backup Data With Linux

Since it is student information and it may be sensitive - I would look for something that stays on the local network. That is why I asked - what type of network folder you are trying to get to. There are some Apps that you can directly ftp as well as get to certain types of folder shares.

Another thought - depending on what you use for email - is you could script something - where you send yourself an email with a certain setup like a subject - then use a script to copy attachments to a folder. For example - outlook
Save E-mail attachments to folder (For Outlook)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
IvanLasston makes a valid point about sending student information online, so be sure to review before going through that route..though technically, by e-mailing the info to yourself, you're essentially also "going outside" your local network..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Not always - if it is an internal exchange/mail server - then it really doesn't leave the internal network. Most companies consider internal email secure and within policy - whether or not it actually is secure is another matter.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks

Hi guys thanks for your replies - the student info was nothing personal just pictures of their projects. I'm finding Dropbox is adequate and some of the suggestions sound a little advanced for me. I have no idea what our server is - but thanks for taking the time to reply

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.