Getting ready to switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 i5 12gb ram 500gb HD
Hi everyone, i have been lurking for a few days now, reading alot, getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Imac.

got tired of dealing with viruses, windows crashes, drivers that dont want to work right, jumping through hoops to get stuff done, and since i am getting ready to go BACK to college after working as an aircraft mechanic for 20 years i figured i would buy myself a new computer..

this scares me a little, as the last time i used a mac was in 1988 back in high school, and i hated them, bu t i have been hearing ALOT of people talk about "once you go MAC you'l never go back" so i am going up to the Apple store today, and picking up one!

keep an eye out for me, and please, be gentle when i start asking all the NOOB questions! LOL

Reaction score
Look forward to hearing your impressions. I got a new iMac back in September. I sure do not regret it. It was great fun getting it set up an personalized the way I want. You're going to love it, I suspect! ;D

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While you are at the Mac store, do take the time to play around with the Mac's (iMac and MBP's) on display and be sure to ask any of the staff there questions about how you would do the things you normally do on your computer right now.

Good luck with your purchase and this forum is always available to help with any transition questions..and you'll have a few I'm sure..:)

OP
Cereal Killer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, i think that i am going to be ok, as i have read alot here already.. i do have some questions, but i am not sure how to ask them yet, as i dont have the mac to play with yet, so untill then, (few more days) i wont know how to ask..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I am a new switcher and upset that I didn't do it earlier. I love my new Imac and still learning new things. My first computer experience was with Macs (Apple 2E) and now I have come full circle :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", iPhone 4, iTouch.
Had my new iMac a few weeks and love it to bits. Congratulations on making the move and enjoy your new machine !

Reaction score
I hope you enjoy and with 14 years of mac under my belt I will be willing to help anytime possible.

Reaction score
Cereal Killer,

As a person who switched late 2011, let me tell you how its been so far for me.

I started out as a hardcore PC user, mainly due to gaming, etc. Then started working from home. Eventually I grew tired of the constant defrags, scandisks, virus updates, virus removals, malware scans, adware scans, cookie cleaning, driver updates, hardware updates, firm wa... well you get the idea.

So I needed a system that was reliable, and just... worked. Spent around 3 months trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I was interested in the apple iMac, my coworkers all had one, all raved by it. but I was hesitant because I also had used a mac back in the pre-osx era. Also, no offense to anyone here, I did not want to become a "apple fanboy", always thought they were... well... losers ;P

Finally broke down and bought it due to video card failure on my pc, was either spend 600 dollars for a new video card, or say to **** with it and buy a new system.

This was my first apple product. I got home, took it out of the box, plugged it in, and turned it on.

At first I hated it, everything was different, menus were different, my magic mouse didnt have my trusty right click button! instant buyers regret. But within a few days, I was starting to enjoy it, it was fast, didnt have much hesitation when loading spreadsheets, watching movies, all the stuff I needed to do for work.

Another week went by, and I was a mac pro (okay maybe not as pro at it from some of these other people) the system is simple, i can count on one hand how many times I've had to go into the terminal, and that was just to change the location my screenshots were saved :D

A month went by, bought microsoft office for the mac (sadly, apples iwork is lacking in spreadsheet functions) Loved it, worked great.

Another month, still in love with it. but I noticed something...
Something I had not noticed before, I have not had a single crash. a single freeze. No bluescreens. Nothing, it just worked, I got up in the morning, got some coffee, sat down, hit the space bar, and boom! everything is there, ready to roll.

Updates are a breeze, 2 - 3 clicks and it can auto-update your system.
the app store lets you update all your software (if you get it through the app store, which is very well stocked with many choices of anything you could need)

And... and this one is a must for me, uptime. why ? cause i HATE waiting for it to boot up when I need to work.

About a week ago, I wondered how much time the computer had been running, without any need for a restart. My computer (PC) would only go for a few days, before needing to reboot to free up ram, etc.

34 days.

yes...

Thirty... Four... Days! without a single need for a reboot!

And this is constant usage, (it auto-sleeps at night), without a SINGLE crash, a single freeze, anything.

The only, ONLY thing I need to do right now is buy some more ram ;P but thats cause I run adobes creative suite almost daily, very memory intensive software.

Also, to show you how much trust I've put in apple, i went from total distain of apple "fan boys" to becoming one....

I have proudly converted 3 people from PC to iMac. I have a mac book pro for traveling, an iPhone, an iPad, and I just got the Apple TV box for home :D

I will, NEVER, buy another windows PC again.

Windows sucks.

Take the leap, you'll land on your feet :)

OP
Cereal Killer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sadly i haven't been able to get my IMac yet, the slush fund is ALMOST there for it, (150 to go) i had hoped to get it last week, but found a bill i needed to pay...

i have been reading ALOT about it, and it just makes me hate windows more and more every day!!! that and the fact that something is going on with my windows machine that keeps dropping the wifi connection.. and i know its not the internet or the router cause my daughters still have internet on their machines when mine goes down..

so its either format mine AGAIN, or just pitch it.. i might possibly just take it out to my jeep and install it with a 7" touch screen so i can play my mp3's in the car and have the neat equalizer bar lights dance while i am driving (about all its good for at this point) LOL!!!!!

i have also got some modifications to do to my desk, i want to put a new counter top on it instead of this plywood that i have been using, after all a new mac deserves a nice place to hang out right?

i will keep you guys posted, and thanks to everyone who has shared the encouragement and stories of their successful switches!

OP
Cereal Killer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
got the new iMac today!!!!! base model 21.5 inch i5, haven't upgraded the ram just yet, gonna let the bank account settle before i spend any more money LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Congrats!

I'm sure you'll have many happy hours together! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" High End MacBook Pro 27" High End iMac iPhone 4 iPad multiple iPods
I too have made the Mac Switch in 2011. I already had all of the iPhones from the original to the 4 multiple iPods and an iPad. I early November I purchased a $1200 top of the line 17" Vaio and thought life was great. Well in late November my desktop died so I decided to really look at my options. I ended buying a top of the line 27" iMac and man I couldn't have been happier. It enhanced my experience with all of my other Apple products and just loved how fast and user friendly it was. In other words I was in awe. So a few days ago I got frustrated with the difficulty of making my Vaio flow with my iMac and I sold the Vaio for $600 swallowed the difference and bought the high end 13" MacBook Pro and now my tech life is complete. Everything just works so seamlessly so the other day I went the Apple store to buy some accessories for my shiny new MacBook Pro and instead walked out with Apple TV. Man I was blown away it is awesome! So awesome in fact that I plan on buying another for my great room. I must say I can't be happier that my desktop died on me otherwise I would still be playing in the terrible field of PC's. I now recommend Apple products to everyone I know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.