Data use for newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have a pay-as-you-go iPhone 3G. How do I find out how much data allowance I've used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Tip courtesy of geeksugar.com.

First, head to your iPhone's settings app. Scroll down to "General," then click on "usage." You'll see your minute breakdown, but at the very bottom you'll see your data usage (sending and receiving) over the cellular network. If you've never reset your stats, you'll find that this number will be fairly high.

You can reset your statistics today (by hitting the "Reset Statistics" button at the bottom of the screen), and check back next week to estimate just how much bandwidth you're eating up each month, and determine if you want to switch to a less expensive plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I use a free app called DataUsage.

I won't go into the details as its pretty obvious what it does, but it is perfect for what you want. Available on the AppStore.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usage; change of provider.

Tip courtesy of geeksugar.com.

First, head to your iPhone's settings app. Scroll down to "General," then click on "usage." You'll see your minute breakdown, but at the very bottom you'll see your data usage (sending and receiving) over the cellular network. If you've never reset your stats, you'll find that this number will be fairly high.

You can reset your statistics today (by hitting the "Reset Statistics" button at the bottom of the screen), and check back next week to estimate just how much bandwidth you're eating up each month, and determine if you want to switch to a less expensive plan.

Many thanks. I got it from my son when he upgraded and I set it up as a new pay-as-you-go with the same provider, O2. I've only had it for 4 weeks so the data use is well within limits.

I have another question. O2 coverage is poor at home and there may be better deals elsewhere. There seems to be an additional cost to switching an iPhone locked to one provider. Is there a way round this if I do decide to change in the future?

Costwise I'm very happy as I don't use my mobile all that much and I'm running at about £2.50 per month compare with £5 under my previous contract.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use a free app called DataUsage.

I won't go into the details as its pretty obvious what it does, but it is perfect for what you want. Available on the AppStore.

Thanks. As you'll see from my previous reply to TattooedMac checking from settings will probably be adequate for my situation.

C

chas_m

I will only add that here where I live, all the carriers provide their own iPhone app (free) from the App Store that is tailored to the carrier, and will provide you with all kinds of stats and even warnings if you're about to go over a limit.

I'm sure they would have something like this in the UK as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.