Mac unresponsive - mouse works

Reaction score
Hi - I have a iMac. The keyboard and mouse both work but the mac is unresponsive. I get the login screen. The mouse enables me to scroll from user to user but when I click on my account, nothing happens. Can anybody help?? Please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What operating system are you using? What are the computer specs? Do you have the original install discs? All vital information which you have not supplied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Following on from what Harry has advised, boot your Mac from the original install disk, and run Disk Utility > First Aid. Verify the Hard Disk and repair if necessary.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I have an iMac. Running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I do have the original install discs. I made an appointment with the Genius bar and right before going I tried the computer again. Booted up, moused places but the click would not work (corded mouse, tried a different mouse with same results). Drove the 22 miles to the Genius bar and, guess what, it worked perfectly. Darn, I hate when that happens. I will keep the mentioned advice and if it occurs again I will give them a try. Thanks so much for your responses. It's nice to know that help is available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.