SSD + HDD in optibay boot issue

Reaction score
Hi, new here so hope I am not posting this in the wrong forum and hacking people off!

Today I took out my optical drive from my 2011 MBP 15" and fitted a 750Gb drive in it's place and a SATA 3 120Gb SSD into the HDD bay.. I had previously cloned my original 500Gb drive onto the 750Gb and it was working fine.

Before doing the install I put the SSD into the caddy, and following some random instructions I read on the net I used Carbon copy cloner to copy all except my User folder onto the SSD which used about 28Gb.

After the install I restarted using alt-power and chose the SSD as the start drive which was amazing, the dock populated instantly and I could open large apps like photoshop in seconds. Obviously it was not using my user account so I pointed my account to the old HDD and restarted.

After the restart I notice that the speed had slowed, I thought that might be because it was accessing the user account on the HDD, but system info tells me now that the HDD is the boot disk..

My question is (finally!) does Lion just think that it is running from the HDD because that's where my user account is, or have I missed a step to make the computer boot from the SSD by default.

Thanks for making it to the end!

Steve

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Obviously it was not using my user account so I pointed my account to the old HDD and restarted.

After the restart I notice that the speed had slowed, I thought that might be because it was accessing the user account on the HDD, but system info tells me now that the HDD is the boot disk..
How did you do the above.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks

Cheers for the replies guys, who would have thought there would be an option in a settings folder to set the boot drive!

I will get my head round this Mac thing one day ;) all working fine now, just setting up boot camp on half the SSD

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Hope you formatted the SSD!

Glad to hear its working. Just don't forget the option to select which drive you want to boot on ;)

Good luck

OP
S
Reaction score
Guess the initialisation process includes formatting the drive, cos I'm using it right now!

Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.