How I got my parents to switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I decided right around June of last year that I would try to get my parents to make the move to the Mac, but I wasn't going to just jump in full throttle. I need to preface this story by stating that while my mom uses PCs at work (albeit old ones still running Windows 98 or XP), my stepfather has never liked computers at all, and the only reason he would use the windows laptop they own is because I put a desktop pic of Dale Earnhardt on it. My parents are both reluctant to move to new stuff, so I had to think of a way to ease them into the Mac ecosystem. When the iPhone 4S was announced last summer, I saw an opportunity thanks to ATT not putting me on contract when I bought my iPhone 4 last March.

Knowing that I was going to be upgrading to the 4S when it was released, I started letting my parents use my iPhone when I went over to their house. My mom had already seen them at work, so she was interested in the phone, although she wasn't keen on paying $200 to get one on contract. My stepfather, who absolutely despises the windows laptop was able to start using it completely on his own after I spent less than 5 minutes showing him some basics. His ability to learn his way around the phone set the stage for the last part of my plan.

When I got my iPhone 4S, I gave the iPhone 4 to my mom, who then switched over to it from her "feature phone" - aka cheap phone - and started using it right away. I made sure to show her how to sync it to iTunes and also purchase apps/music that she was interested in. around this time my mom was thinking about getting an eReader for my stepfather. Knowing how he liked iOS, I started steering her towards an iPad 2 instead. I explained that while an eReader is good at just books, the iPad would be used more. So we bought him an iPad 2 for Christmas.

Given my stepfather's predisposition against new electronics, I thought that he might be a little resistant to the iPad at first, but would gradually warm up to the idea. Instead, he immediately took to it like a duck to water and literally fell in love with the unit. He has gone from only using the laptop when he must to using the iPad every chance he gets. In fact, he has bragged to several people that he got an iPad for Christmas.

Now that my mom is using her iPhone and my stepfather is using (and enjoying) his iPad, they are planning to make the switch from their Windows machine to a Mac. While they have not decided which model to buy, the fact that they are seriously considering a Mac is a major accomplishment. I have also let them use my MBP on occasion, so they are already familiar with the basics of the OS. My stepfather is especially fond of the touchpad gestures, as he hates to use a mouse and traditional trackpads are "too limiting" for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Too bad that doesn't work for my mom. She still struggles with the on and off button on the White iPhone 4s that I got her. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
~insert diabolical laughter~

Love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I decided right around June of last year that I would try to get my parents to make the move to the Mac, but I wasn't going to just jump in full throttle. I need to preface this story by stating that while my mom uses PCs at work (albeit old ones still running Windows 98 or XP), my stepfather has never liked computers at all, and the only reason he would use the windows laptop they own is because I put a desktop pic of Dale Earnhardt on it. My parents are both reluctant to move to new stuff, so I had to think of a way to ease them into the Mac ecosystem. When the iPhone 4S was announced last summer, I saw an opportunity thanks to ATT not putting me on contract when I bought my iPhone 4 last March.

Knowing that I was going to be upgrading to the 4S when it was released, I started letting my parents use my iPhone when I went over to their house. My mom had already seen them at work, so she was interested in the phone, although she wasn't keen on paying $200 to get one on contract. My stepfather, who absolutely despises the windows laptop was able to start using it completely on his own after I spent less than 5 minutes showing him some basics. His ability to learn his way around the phone set the stage for the last part of my plan.

When I got my iPhone 4S, I gave the iPhone 4 to my mom, who then switched over to it from her "feature phone" - aka cheap phone - and started using it right away. I made sure to show her how to sync it to iTunes and also purchase apps/music that she was interested in. around this time my mom was thinking about getting an eReader for my stepfather. Knowing how he liked iOS, I started steering her towards an iPad 2 instead. I explained that while an eReader is good at just books, the iPad would be used more. So we bought him an iPad 2 for Christmas.

Given my stepfather's predisposition against new electronics, I thought that he might be a little resistant to the iPad at first, but would gradually warm up to the idea. Instead, he immediately took to it like a duck to water and literally fell in love with the unit. He has gone from only using the laptop when he must to using the iPad every chance he gets. In fact, he has bragged to several people that he got an iPad for Christmas.

Now that my mom is using her iPhone and my stepfather is using (and enjoying) his iPad, they are planning to make the switch from their Windows machine to a Mac. While they have not decided which model to buy, the fact that they are seriously considering a Mac is a major accomplishment. I have also let them use my MBP on occasion, so they are already familiar with the basics of the OS. My stepfather is especially fond of the touchpad gestures, as he hates to use a mouse and traditional trackpads are "too limiting" for him.
What a great job you have done to introduce your parents to the apple products. Now your parents should be thankful for having such a great child to make their lives easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I can see this coming more often now, when the older generation see's that Apple has the accomplishments of integrating all their devices to a single PC.
And because of this integration the older folk will start to take on more Apple products to make their life easier . . . . .
@OP well done on the switching the parents BTW

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I should point that an additional benefit for me personally is that the number of times they call me for tech support has dropped by about 90% since they started using apple products. They are getting more use and enjoyment out of them, and I'm getting more time to work on my own things.

C

chas_m

I didn't have to do that much to get my family to (very slowly) switch over to Macs. They just noticed that I never had any problems and actually loved my devices. They kinda figured it out. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It was easy for me I asked them how they did things on their PC then showed them how I can do the very same thing almost all the time faster and easier.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice sales job there. Very sneaky but nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.