In the market for a new Macbook Pro 15"... will I be able to do the following?

Reaction score
I use my computers a lot. Both of the laptops I've owned haven't really stood the test of time, and use very well--I take care of my things the best I can, and I don't drop or roughly handle anything that I have--but my current (non-Mac) laptop has cracked pieces of plastic around the screen and the performance is starting to really suck on it. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new Macbook Pro 15". The 2.2Ghz version (because it's all I can afford.. :p)

Now, my uses for it are this:

I'm a musician, so I'd be running Logic 9 Pro, and MainStage 2 on it. From what I've been able to tell, it runs both of these pretty flawlessly--although I'm sure the more extensively I use it, the more it'd choke out on the system--but hopefully not! I also do video editing and photography, as well as some web design, so I'd have software for all of those things in there too. On the side, I play games here and there occasionally (I'd definitely have Bootcamp running on it partitioned). Do you think the standard 2.2Ghz version will be able to do all of this without too much of an issue?

Also, I'd be buying this in person--do you think the Apple store can put the 7500 RPM version of the 500GB harddrive in there, or will have one that's already stocked with it? I need something both affordable, but something that's also a power house for the crap I do. Probably a pretty standard question, but still. Just checking.

Last but not least, do you think it would be physically sturdy enough to travel with? Traverse the town in the back of a backpack with a protecting sleeve around it? I don't like carrying laptop cases around. Beyond that, does anyone have any suggestions for low profile backpacks that will keep it protecting? Something Jansport-y that doesn't scream with "HEY, THIS HAS A LAPTOP IN IT!"?

I'd be basically using it for everything, personal use, as well as professional. :)

Thanks for anyone who helps!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, I'd be buying this in person--do you think the Apple store can put the 7500 RPM version of the 500GB harddrive in there, or will have one that's already stocked with it? I need something both affordable, but something that's also a power house for the crap I do. Probably a pretty standard question, but still. Just checking.

Buying a MBP at the Apple store means buying it as is. For an extra fee they'll install a larger faster hard drive and more memory for you. However, as many of us will tell you, it's not worth it. Replacing a hard drive and adding memory to a MBP is a rather easy do it yourself task. And definitely a lot less expensive than having Apple do it.

You say you need something powerful but affordable for the work you do. The choice you made should be OK. However, you might want to load it up with memory and as you say, the larger faster hard drive but consider doing it yourself. Of course if you're not comfortable with that, let Apple do it for the extra cost.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Buying a MBP at the Apple store means buying it as is. For an extra fee they'll install a larger faster hard drive and more memory for you. However, as many of us will tell you, it's not worth it. Replacing a hard drive and adding memory to a MBP is a rather easy do it yourself task. And definitely a lot less expensive than having Apple do it.

You say you need something powerful but affordable for the work you do. The choice you made should be OK. However, you might want to load it up with memory and as you say, the larger faster hard drive but consider doing it yourself. Of course if you're not comfortable with that, let Apple do it for the extra cost.

Here's my issue: The warranty. I'd rather not void it the second I get it. :/ I live in a slightly violent home, so things of mine tend to get broken NOT by me, but other people. From what I understand, the stock warranty doesn't come with damage protection, but yeah. Hm. Do you know how much this fee is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Why not just

order exactly what you need/want/can afford from apple.com? My experience doing that has been great. Quick, easy, painless and you get what you want.

As to someone else trashing the machine for you, no warranty will cover that. Check out insurance coverage through your renters or homeowner's policy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Here's my issue: The warranty. I'd rather not void it the second I get it. :/

Installing a HDD and RAM as soon as you have bought it, won't void your warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.