Migration Assistance-I don't think anything happened???

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to transfer my files (i.e., word documents and movies and songs downloaded from the internet, BUT NOT application or anything else) to my macbook pro. I am running snow leopard on my old computer (macbook) and my new macbook pro. I ran MA wirelessley and the transfer completed in about 1 min (which I thought was really fast...too fast). Then it said it was done.

Now I cant find any of my files on my macbook pro. I don't think anything was transferred! Also, but disk usage has stayed the same. I'm not sure what happened...

I did some research and on some forums and there is NOT another profile in my accounts which all my files have been stored under...

does anyone know what happened and if anything was transferred? Where are my files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try Firewire rather than wireless or put the old computer hard drive in an external case and connect via USB.

What had you selected to transfer over and if it worked wireless is much, much slower than Firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Or, alternately, an ethernet cable between them and turn the wireless cards off. It's almost as fast as FW800

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't really have an external hard drive with me at the moment and don't have an ethernet cable. Is there any other solutions to doing this wirelessly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, wireless should work. It will, however, take hours (of course dependent on what you're transferring, for instance 50 some GB of data was initially forecast at 15 hours the one time I tried it, before bailing and finding an eth cable). What did you select in MA?

OP
C
Reaction score
I selected 'files' to transfer an then selected to a Mac on my old
Comp. the first time I tried the MA gave me an option of selecting to create another user profile or something...I selected do not transfer profile bc I just wanted my files on my new comp under one profile. I think this might have been the problem. When I tried to do it again I never received this message again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes, you want the user. That's where Documents, Pictures, Music etc is transferred, the 'files' selection is a small bundle normally.. I don't have a full handle on what it actually transfers (perhaps /Users/Shared)

I found this explanation
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2470870?start=0&tstart=0

Basically, anything at the root level of the source volume not included in the standard Applications, Library, System, & Users folders. For instance, say you have created a root level folder named "Extras" for some miscellaneous files you don't want to keep in any user account's home folder. None of the other options of Migration Assistant would transfer this folder, so the "Other files and folders" option gives you that capability.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ohhh, I thought by selecting 'files' that would transfer over all my word documents, downloaded movies and music and powerpoint files! It looks like that's not the case.

Does anyone know what I should select then to JUST transfer word docs, powerpoints music and photos? I don't really care about applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just select user, that'll transfer your home directory. Unless you installed applications for ONLY that user (that is they're in your home/Applications) it won't transfer any apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.