Reformatting and Reinstall problems on older macbook

Reaction score
I have one of the first macbooks that Apple released in 2006, and I want to reformat the HD and reinstall OS X to get a clean slate. In this case, I still have the original installation discs (which are for Tiger). However, I'm running into problems when I try to use the installation discs that came with the laptop to reinstall OS X. The DVD drive recognizes the disc correctly, and I can open it and select install OS X, but when the computer restarts to begin the installation process, it ejects the disc and then just boots from the HD.

I've tried restarting with the disc in the drive and holding down C. The disc ejects and the computer boots up from the HD.

I've tried holding down the option key when booting up to try to manually select booting from the install disc. The disc ejects and the computer only shows me the HD option.

I've tried to run a hardware test by inserting the install disc, restarting the computer, and holding down D. The disc ejects and the computer boots from the HD. I also tried to run the test by just booting up the computer without the install disc in the DVD drive and holding down D, but the computer just booted up normally.

I did upgrade my to Leopard using a universal install disc, and I'm currently running 10.5.8. I get the same exact result when trying to use the Leopard disc to reinstall OS X.

Can someone help me figure out what's going on and how to fix this problem? I'm at the end of my rope.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need a new optical drive. Yours is failing to properly read the disk and instead ejecting them. The life expectancy of slot loading drives which Apple uses is much shorter than the tray loaders on PCs and external drives.

Since that machine is a 2006 model, you might be better off buying an inexpensive external USB optical drive and using it instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
If you have another mac and a firewire cable put the disk in that mac, boot that mac holding t with the firewire cable connected to both machines and boot that macbook holding option. You should be able to see the disk that is in the other mac and install t that way.

OP
V
Reaction score
You need a new optical drive. Yours is failing to properly read the disk and instead ejecting them. The life expectancy of slot loading drives which Apple uses is much shorter than the tray loaders on PCs and external drives.

Thanks for the response. Is it possible for a failing optical drive to only read certain types of DVDs successfully? Because it can still properly recognize what's on the disc when I already have it booted up, and it can still read other types of DVDs--for instance, DVD movies still play perfectly.

If you have another mac and a firewire cable put the disk in that mac, boot that mac holding t with the firewire cable connected to both machines and boot that macbook holding option. You should be able to see the disk that is in the other mac and install t that way.

I have a macbook pro, so I could try this--what type of firewire cable will I need to connect the two?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What model of mac book pro do you have and what macbook?

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok, so I ordered the firewire cable and successfully hooked up the macbook pro to the older macbook and booted my mbp on my mb. However, when I put the install disc into the mbp and clicked restart to install on the install menu for the disc, the mbp booted up on the mb but spit the disc out before booting, just like it did on my mb! Anyone know why this is happening? It can't be an optical drive failure, because the drive on my mbp works perfectly (it's a new machine). It's got to be something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So did you use target disk mode to boot the other machine off of?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.