iTunes, Synology & two identical copies of my library

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just acquired my new Macbook Pro and very excited - but have one challenge... so help please...

I have a fairly large music library (120gb ish) stored on an external Buffalo Linkstation which my Sonos uses as its source. On my old PC laptop iTunes was configured to import music via my network onto the Buffalo.

I plan to replace the Buffalo with a Synology 212J and copy the data across. What I'd ideally like to be able to do is to then create a copy of the library on my Macbook Pro (not a possibility previously with a 160Gb Dell laptop) so that a copy sits on the NAS which can be used at home and also a copy is kept on the Macbook Pro HDD (local) so I can listen to my music via my Mac without needing to be connected to my network. This is currently done by a 160Gb iPod classic at present, but things would be so much easier if I didnt need another device simply for music. I am happy keeping it sync perhaps every month and using it in the car or when travelling - but I like the thought of having a full copy of my library on my Mac and knowing it is always current.

Any thoughts / help as to how I might achieve this most gratefully received!

Palfers...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.