Mac OS X + Lion + external hard drives

Reaction score
I have a Mac OS X, 10.7.2, with 2GB memory. Before everything went south, I had 3 external hard drives hooked up to my Mac (via USB): two small drives, both full, and a Western Digital 2TB drive. I got a new WD 3TB drive for Christmas, so my plan was to transfer everything on the small external drives over to the 2TB drive and use the new 3TB drive for backup with plenty of free space left over.

SO - I transferred everything over to my 2TB drive, then made the fatal decision to go ahead and upgrade to Lion, since I was already using Lion on my Macbook Pro. I had no problems w/my 2TB drive when Snow Leopard was installed, but after I installed Lion, the Mac no longer saw my 2TB drive (it didn't show up on my desktop and was not findable through other means) and my new 3TB drive, that I had just hooked up, was read only. I found out, in a Mac forum, what my problem was.

At that point, according to those in the forum, Apple had put out no fix and it was not a good idea to try and downgrade back to Snow Leopard. I have 10 years worth of artwork that exists only on the 2TB drive, so I guess I need to purchase new Mac-friendly external hard drive(s), and get the data on the 2TB ext hard drive transferred over.

Confirmations or Different Diagnoses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do the drives show in disk utility? Because the only issue I've had with Lion was FAT formatted drives connected via FW800. But, I could see the drives in diskutil and I could manually mount them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.