what laptop is best for me

D

dunesforyou

Hi im getting a new mac mostly for photoshop and premier. I will be doing some html, but im not like a hard core graphic designer :). Im 16 and turning 17. I want to have my own computor to make things for my resume for colleges. I was thinking of the ibook g3. but what would recomend for memory space and what not? I have that option or maybe getting a ibook g4 but with less memory since it would be more expensive. I don't have a big enough wallet for a powerbook though. Ok thanks a lot guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well memory and hard drive space are very important when using photoshop and premier so i would recommend going for the G3 with as much ram and biggest hd as you can get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
another thought.

you could get the g4 with as much as you can afford. get a bigger hd before memory since memory is easier to upgrade along the road so you wont have the greatest performance on earth to start off but when upgraded it will be great

OP
D

dunesforyou

so i should max out my RAM? Where can you buy the sticks of memory and how much are they?

thanks alot man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.memoryx.net/powg3wal.html

thats the memory page for powerbooks

if you can get a powerbook with a decent sized hd i think you woul be better off getting that to start and upgrading the ram

OP
H

hokiethang

dunesforyou said:
so i should max out my RAM? Where can you buy the sticks of memory and how much are they?

thanks alot man

Actually you should max out the hard drive space and the RAM. Photoshop is VERY storage intensive as well as RAM intensive. I would suggest maxing both of them to the most you can afford. Another good tip is to not buy the machine with maxed ram, and buy the additional ram elsewhere, since apple charges an outrageous price for ram upgrades after a certain point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hokie i think he should go for the biggest hard drive he can afford right now and upgrade ram as he goes a long that way he can get a powerbook but will just have to wait abit before it works to its maximum capabilty but he will still have a huge hd and eventually plenty of ram

OP
B

Bluecrabby

When I bought my iBook a couple of months ago I opted for the largest hard drive (cause that's pretty hard to upgrade lol) but left the RAM at it's minimum 128. As soon as I got the iBook I went and bought a 512MB stick and popped it in. Now she screams, even though she's a G3!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.