Opinions on 1.83ghz 2006 iMac

Reaction score
I'm considering the purchase of a used iMac as our only home computer. Most of our emailing/web is done on our iPad2. We plan to use the iMac for photo storage/editing, word processing, website upkeep (blogger blog), occasional video editing, iTunes library storage and websurfing.

My budget is minimal at this point (~$300-$400) and so maybe a Mac isn't in the cards yet. However, I can get the iMac below for $300 and am wondering what you all think of it for the above uses.

Here's the specs:
2006 Apple iMac 17"
1.83ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2gb RAM, 160gb HDD
Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics video card
802.11g WiFi

Should I be concerned about the integrated graphics? What about the g WiFi?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iMac you referred to is one of the first Intel iMac models built. I don't see a problem with using it as long as you don't need it for intensive graphic work. Since it's limited to the Intel GMA 950 it means that it will borrow memory from the system. And the system memory on that model is limited to 2 GB. It may not have enough power to do much in the way of video editing though.

The WiFi is OK since most modern routers and setups are compatible with 802.11g. Personally, I would opt for a newer machine that can hold more memory and has better graphics but of course that's going to be more money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
A note on the Wifi G. It will not be the bottleneck to the internet, only internal (PC to PC and Syncin of iOS to iTunes) data transfers. Even the fastest broadband speeds (at least in the US) are at most 50mbps, and Wifi-G is 56mbps.

I would not want to edit photos or videos on that machine. You would be better served to use your iPad 2 and iMovie for videos and any number of other iOS photo editors available.

Keep a realistic view on what you are buying - a 5 year old PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.