LDAP Offline Access

Reaction score
Hi Mac-Forum users,

Long time reader - first time poster.

I hope that someone out there will be able to help me with an LDAP authentication question.

I am about to rebuild me home network and re-install Lion on my MBP and MB and configure all my machines for LDAP logon, however I'm looking for some clarification regards offline access.

Will I be able to take my MBP / MB outside of my LAN and still logon using a chached version of my LDAP creditials or will i be restricted to only logging when inside my LAN?

Really appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Kernewek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
What LDAP system?

You can join LDAP systems from the Mac, OS X OD and MS AD are two directories that support mobile users, which will allow caching network login credentials locally.

Remember how Kerberos logins work. The client requests the password from the server to be verified on the client. Mobile users must have the servers authentication password cached from the server in order to log itself in as an LDAP account.

I can't answer that any LDAP system will allow this functionality i.e. any linux flavor of the month.

OS X server and MS Domain Controllers can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.