MacBook Air storage question..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 12gb iMac i5; iPhone 4s; 13.3" MacBook Air
My Air says that I have 2 gigs of "movies" and 12.58 gigs of "other" stored on my hard drive...This confuses me since I don't have any movies and I'm not sure what qualifies as "other". If anybody knows what would cause this and how to free up this space if possible, I'd appreciate it. I only have 128gb hard drive to begin with, so if I can account for almost 15gb of space, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
It is counting all of the films that are baked into the OS as tutorials. As for the other, those are most of the operating system files and other bits of native software.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 12gb iMac i5; iPhone 4s; 13.3" MacBook Air
Interesting. It doesn't seem to be a very efficient use of space. 12gb of "other" seems excessive. Is there any way to delete any of this stuff without compromising the computer in any way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Try this program
Disk Inventory X
It is called disk inventory x - it will show you graphically where your biggest files are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.