What makes the biggest difference in speed

Reaction score
What component makes up the biggest proportion of speed. Ram, Hard Drive/SSD, or Processor?

Say I want to upgrade a macbook with moderate specs. What is going to see the biggest speed increase? already running 3gb ram, 2.0ghz quad core, regular HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What component makes up the biggest proportion of speed. Ram, Hard Drive/SSD, or Processor?

Say I want to upgrade a macbook with moderate specs. What is going to see the biggest speed increase? already running 3gb ram, 2.0ghz quad core, regular HDD.

It depends on what you are doing on the machine. It would help to know what your needs are, as well as which exact model/year MacBook you have and what version of OS X you are running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It does depend on what you are doing but for most people the most noticeable speed difference would be the hard drive especially if you get SSD.

OP
davenz
Reaction score
Mostly running lots of applications, booting up, playing video, surfing the web, no major power sucking programs like adobe suite.

Running 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Mostly running lots of applications, booting up, playing video, surfing the web, no major power sucking programs like adobe suite.

Running 10.6.8

RAM and the HDD would make the most difference in your case. If you're runnng a notebook, you can pretty much rule out upgrading the processor anyways. I'd say uprading from 3GB to 4 or even 8GB of RAM would make the biggest difference up front, followed by upgrading the HDD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Just to clarify...you can cross a processor upgrade of the list...since the processor on your MacBook is not upgradeable (it is soldered onto the logic board).

Also...there is/was no such thing as a 2.0ghz MacBook with a "QUAD-CORE" cpu (Apple never made one)!;)

This leaves us with ram & HD. A ram upgrade will not necessarily speed anything up if you don't need it. You currently have 3 gig of ram...so lets say all you did on your computer was internet & and e-mail...then a further ram upgrade would not do much or anything.

There were also 5 different MacBooks with a 2.0ghz "Core 2 Duo" cpu...and if you have an older model...you may already be maxed out on ram with 3gig.

Finally the HD. You probably have a standard 5400rpm HD...upgrading to a 7200rpm HD may speed things up a little bit. An SSD would probably speed things up more:

- boot times
- opening of files
- opening of applications

...what an SSD won't do is allow you to run applications better/faster...since this is dependent on the computers cpu & gpu.

So overall...ram may help speed things up (if you really need more ram)...an SSD will definitely makes things seem/feel faster.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.