• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Xserve Raid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe
Hi,
WHOA!! is this the new wave, of the future? Or is this merely an Christmas ( read kapitalist thing? 5000 bucks is a hefty amount? What gives? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
What exactly is this thread about?!?
Could you make entire sentences please, so that we understand what you mean??
Thanx...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I guess he does not like the cost of Apple's raid solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OP
ajresovsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok- When I first got into Apples the big thing was something referred to as: C/pm.
Then there was the hard drive as oppossed to an uploadable floppy. Is Xserve Raid
merely Christmas time( doesn't it seem quite coincidental it's occurring now?) ploy. Or is thhis the new trend?
Sure I'm shocked at the price. But, hey, to pay 45,000.00 for a machine that SHO ULD BE 8,000.00! "The times, they are a-changin'" They'll fall!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
ajresovsky said:
Is Xserve Raid
merely Christmas time( doesn't it seem quite coincidental it's occurring now?) ploy. Or is thhis the new trend?
Sure I'm shocked at the price. But, hey, to pay 45,000.00 for a machine that SHO ULD BE 8,000.00! "The times, they are a-changin'" They'll fall!
I am confused here. What is this about Christmas and what is 45000? If I look at the Apple Store and max out a xserve raid system it is a little less than 20000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apples X-Serv has been around for a while and RAID servers are NOT anything new, Apple just around to advertising that fact that they have one.

X-Serv is NOT intended as a consumer product, but as a business one....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
and i still cant see what the point of this thread of indeed christmas has to do with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
The Xserve RAID has been out since before the Xserve G5. And you're paying mostly for the hard drives, because that's what the machine is, storage, it's not a computer. It tops out at $13,000 for 7TB.
(Everyone's saying 1 TB=1,000 GB and 1 GB=1,000Mb, etc. as opposed to 1,024, so actual capacity is probably around 6.7TB)

There is absolutely no connection to Christmas that I see, unless Santa's going to be a heavy spender this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I figured the riddle out.
"read kapitalist thing? 5000 bucks is a hefty amount?"
The cheapest Xserve is 5,999
"But, hey, to pay 45,000.00 for a machine that SHO ULD BE 8,000.00!"
The most expensive BTO Powermac is $25,375.00, and he thinks that with those
BTO options, it should only cost $8,000. (Maybe he's right... Apple could be
charging some 3 and a quarter times the production cost, after all they do have
a monopoly over the computer industry.)
He also mentioned Christmas twice. And I can't figure out why.

I don't get it.

OP
ajresovsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the timing....

inflexion said:
and i still cant see what the point of this thread of indeed christmas has to do with it
You know, I've have not ben regular in checking out the 'new' products, on thee apple store website, but I guess I'm more regular than not. I just hit the website and holy Kris Kringle lo and behold Xserve! Coincidence? I think not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, it's a coincidence that you happened to bother to hit the web site to see the product? It's been there for some time now, so there is no other coincidence that I can see here. Is it a coincidence that you happened to start a thread that made no sense, or was that just a random act of ....well....randomness....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ajresovsky said:
You know, I've have not ben regular in checking out the 'new' products, on thee apple store website, but I guess I'm more regular than not. I just hit the website and holy Kris Kringle lo and behold Xserve! Coincidence? I think not.

I'm still not seeing the Xserve anywhere on the apple site that it hasn't been for the past year.

Reaction score
Why would you bother looking for a raid solution from Apple?
Its like buying a motorbike from Ford

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The main market is Mac networks like graphics departments or schools that need centralized storage. For Mac networks, XServe Raid is easier to set up and administer. It's also a perfectly good storage system for PCs or mixed-platform networks if the capacity is right...it's no more expensive than many Dell/IBM/Sun RAID systems, and it woks with Linux or PC host systems too. The main limitation is that there's only one model, while other vendors offer a bigger selection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
technologist said:
The main market is Mac networks like graphics departments or schools that need centralized storage. For Mac networks, XServe Raid is easier to set up and administer. It's also a perfectly good storage system for PCs or mixed-platform networks if the capacity is right...it's no more expensive than many Dell/IBM/Sun RAID systems, and it woks with Linux or PC host systems too. The main limitation is that there's only one model, while other vendors offer a bigger selection.

And, just like the Xserve, it just looks so much better than any other Server or RAID system.
Not that it's really important for their purpose, but a noteworthy detail anyway... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
macanal said:
Why would you bother looking for a raid solution from Apple?
Its like buying a motorbike from Ford

Hey... that made sense to me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.