MacBook Pro memory upgrade

Reaction score
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro 13.3 in. with 4 GB RAM. I want to upgrade to 8 GB, and all the websites I have looked at to buy the upgrade seem to send it with 2 x 4 GB chips, so I am wondering if I can buy 1 more 4 GB chip and just put that in and have 8 GB or if the system doesn't work that way, and even though there are 2 4 GB chips they are somehow connected, so you have to buy it as an 8 GB upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
Adding a single 4GB module would have give you a total of 6GB rather than 8 because they come with 2 2GB modules in them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Most modern computers run either dual channel or triple channel RAM, so you would want to install matched sticks of RAM either 2 or 3 at a time based on the specific system. The Macbook Pros are using dual channel RAM, so getting an 8GB kit (2 x 4GB) would be better than mixing a 2GB and 4GB stick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.