CONFIGURATION ? - iMac / Synology NAS / Time Capsule

Reaction score
I currently have:
1. iMac - 500GB internal HD
2. Time Capsule - brand new Gen 5, w 3TB HD
3. Synology 210j - 3TB external HD​

My question is...What is my BEST configuration in terms of backup, storage, and iMac performance?

We have about 250GB on the iMac between music and photos, and when operating Aperture the iMac's performance is slow. So for example, should I: Use the Time Capsule for backup, and put all the photos and/or music on the Synology, freeing up the entire iMac HD? Or some other configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
should I: Use the Time Capsule for backup, and put all the photos and/or music on the Synology

Short answer - Yes.
That's the obvious answer.

Longer answer, maybe not.
The 'best' config depends on connectivity and intended use.
You don't say how you intend to connect these devices together or if there are other users of the devices. These two things are key.

backing up a 500gb drive to the 3tb TC will leave a lot of space knocking around. Allocatting half for backup/half for data will still give you room to manuveur without touching the Synology. But then that gets turned on it's head if the TC is connected by wifi but the Synology is connected by firewire or usb because that'll be faster.

A few more details would really help.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
M
Reaction score
The real backstory here is that I'm moving into a newly built house, wired with Cat5 Ethernet throughout. As well I have a home theater system installed that will include an Apple TV. So my current list of equipment includes:
A. iMac (500GB)
B. Gen5 TC (3TB)
C. Gen 4 Airport Extreme (will use to extend network throughout house)
D. Synology 210j (3TB)
E. AppleTV
F. 2008 Macbook (used mainly for surfing web)

So I'm really trying to figure out my OPTIMAL configuration to achieve: backup, maximizing performance of the iMac, storage (250GB music/photos/video), streaming iTunes video via AppleTV, etc.

To your specific questions:
1. Although my wife and I both use the iMac/Macbook, we are set up under one user and are fine leaving it that way.

2. I'm flexible in terms of how I connect either the TC or the 210j. At least 1, and possibly both, could/would be connected via Ethernet to the iMac.

3. The other consideration is iTunes. I will likely leave music/video on the iMac given that we also use Apple TV. I believe Apple TV must reference files from the iMac/iTunes, rather than from the 210j. True?

4. And the other belief I have (true or not?) that the amount of photo space being taken up on the iMac is what's causing slow performance. Any idea if this is the case or not?

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to know there's a robust resource out there with real users that are willing to help newbies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Jealous of the cabled house :)

OK, as you can connect the TC, NAS, iMac and AppleTV by ethernet you have an easy and robust config.

To your specific questions:
1. Although my wife and I both use the iMac/Macbook, we are set up under one user and are fine leaving it that way.
I meant users as in more than one person using the network at the same time etc. No problem either way.

2. I'm flexible in terms of how I connect either the TC or the 210j. At least 1, and possibly both, could/would be connected via Ethernet to the iMac.
I'd connect the Time Capsule to your broadband modem (I'm assuming there's a modem in the mix), connect the Synology NAS to the TC. Any device on the network now has access to 6gb of storage.

3. The other consideration is iTunes. I will likely leave music/video on the iMac given that we also use Apple TV. I believe Apple TV must reference files from the iMac/iTunes, rather than from the 210j. True?
Mainly true. To access the home sharing on AppleTV to play music/video from your iTunes library your AppleTV needs to be able to access iTunes on your Mac across the network (the the library can be 'anywhere'). Now that you can keep the iTunes library on your iMac or on your Time Capsule. I'd suggest leaving where it is for now, get your network properly. You can always move it at a later date if space becomes an issue.

4. And the other belief I have (true or not?) that the amount of photo space being taken up on the iMac is what's causing slow performance. Any idea if this is the case or not?
Lack of free space on the OSX hard disk can cause slow downs. How the space is used doesn'y really have a bearing on things. However, moving your photo library onto an external disk is often a good way to free up space as they can reach an enormous size easily these days with HD video and high mega-pixel cameras.
It's a reasonably painless move to transfer an aperture photo library to an external disk. I'd suggest using the NAS.

As for slow downs in general:
1. remove any unecessary applications that run all the time/in the back ground/on start up.
2. Use Disk Utility to check disk permissions and verify disk.
3. Consider a tool like Onyx and run the monthly scripts (it's free and works well)
4. Move your photo library to your NAS
5. Ensure you have all updates for OSX and aperture
6. Consider increasing the RAM in your iMac (if you haven't already). It's a pretty cheap and painless upgrade and Aperture will thank you for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.