Help wireless dongle

Reaction score
I have recently got a Mac Pro and it doesn't have built in wireless so when I tried plugging my dongle that I have used on my PC it doesn't recognize it... I am using Netgear for my wireless router... Could someone send me a link to a dongle that will work on my Mac?

EDIT: or maybe another way of getting internet on it without using an ethernet cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
Mac Pro does come with built in wireless. Go to Utilities and open up Airport Utility and you should be able to set up your system.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I may be mistaken, but I thought the wireless card (airport card) was an optional purchase for the Mac Pro?

To the OP:

The wireless dongle for your PC will likely not work with your Mac Pro without proper drivers. Check with the manufacturer to see if there are drivers available for the version of OS X you're running.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I may be mistaken, but I thought the wireless card (airport card) was an optional purchase for the Mac Pro?

To the OP:

The wireless dongle for your PC will likely not work with your Mac Pro without proper drivers. Check with the manufacturer to see if there are drivers available for the version of OS X you're running.

You're right. On at least some and perhaps all of the models it was optional. Correct on the dongle drivers as well--especially under Liom. I have two currently and last time I checked neither worked under Lion due to drivers but they were fine under Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
Apologies for the error. Kind of weird though? The tech specs for the Mac Pro where I am list:

Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) wireless technology

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apologies for the error. Kind of weird though? The tech specs for the Mac Pro where I am list:

Nothing "weird" about it...depends on which Mac Pro model?;) There were/are about 4-5 generations of Mac Pro's since 2006...and over that time there have been 20+ different Mac Pro models....we cannot be "generically" talking about Mac Pro's. So the EXACT model of Mac Pro makes a BIG difference what features were built-in...and which were optional.

That being said...Mac Pro models (1,1 and 2,1) from the 2006 to January 2008 time frame had optional bluetooth...Mac Pro models since January, 2008 came with built-in bluetooth.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't know which model it is, all I know is that it's come from a school... It doesn't have built in wireless and I've tried the airport and I can't get anything from that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try the ethernet cable first up, and if all is well then consider a second hand Airport and Bluetooth, if needed, card/s. They abound on eBay from Hong Kong sellers who generally provide a warranty.

Good luck with the dongle never got one to work yet on a G4, G5 or Mac Pro. problems is proper drivers. The last one I tried, a Realtek was Mac compatible allegedly, with Panther the final OS supported!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
... It doesn't have built in wireless and I've tried the airport and I can't get anything from that

Yes...an airport card was optional as well in early model Mac Pro's.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.