G5 iMac - No Sound In

Reaction score
Hello to all and thanks in advance...

I have a G5 iMac 2.0 GHz Intel machine and I recently replaced my hardrive with this:

Newegg.com - Western Digital AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Ever since I havent gotten any sound out of my built in mic.

I have double checked all the system prefs to make sure something isnt muted etc.

I initially thought I forgot to re-connect the internal so I checked that and still no luck.

Then I thought I broke the internal mic somehow and bought an 1/8" mic from Radio Shack thinking this would surely solve my issue but when it is plugged in I get NO sound from the 'line-in/built-in input'

Hard restart didnt work either.

Any ideas ladies and gents? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
There is no such thing as a G5 imac 2.0 ghz intel also. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply rabbit.

I got my G5 tag from this support article which is perhaps out of date:
How to identify your iMac

To further clarify...my iMac is one of the first iMac's with the silver bezel from roughly 2007-2008.

I might be misinformed but does this generation do the PMU reset internally like the older models? The info Ive found suggests its all external?

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

I followed the advice of the above article and also did a PRAM again with no success in either case.

Any other tricks out there to bring the noise back? :Confused:

OP
J
Reaction score
Any other ideas of brilliance out there?

Is it possible when installing a new hard drive to switch on of those three wires coming from the harddrive incorrectly causing the sound to quit?

Thanks for your time.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ill give this one more shot to see if anyone has any more ideas but today I installed a new microphone thinking that somehow I had broken it taking the case apart.

While the case was open, I took a closer look at the mic wire routing to see if perhaps it come unplugged in the case but I dont see any obvious disconnections.

After a new mic, smc reset, the mic still has no response.

ANY IDEAS would be very appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.