iPad buyer undecided...Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm currently looking for a tablet and something that has at least 7" and not more than 10" screen. i thought a 10" one is big (because of the things i'll be mostly be doing with it) so i have carefully been considering the iPad 2 (or 3).

I'll be mainly surfing the net, watch Youtube videos, facebook, twitter, viewing .pdf or .doc files, odd photos & uploading them, listening to music, playing games, using DLNA to watch movies to my TV.

My problem with the iPad 2 are several. namely the inability to send any files via bluetooth, lack of SD/microSD card support, a single mono speaker, a lacklustre front-facing & rear-facing camera amongst others.

I am more familiar with the Android OS and not iOS so please help me out here with my questions:

1. Like what a Macbook pro can do...can the iPad send any file (say a photo) to any 3rd-party device via bluetooth?

2. can i view .pdf or.doc (say for example a train or plane ticket or an Ebay invoice) files and have the file printed to a wireless or wired printer? and how please?

3. i usually take photos with an SD card. i'm aware the iPad 2 has no SD card slot but is there an adaptor to connect to my iPad? and how do i upload those files? will the ipad detect it automatically?

4. Android is all about customisations and multitasking. can the iPad 2 do that as well? and can you give me exampleas please in relation to say multi-finger functions?

please advice.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
why are you rehashing a closed thread?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Must we go through this again? I believe it was well-established in your last thread that the iPad wasn't a good fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
1. Via Bluetooth - Not that I'm aware of, but you can always download a free app such as drop box and use that.

2. Yes you can view pdfs and docs, and the simplest way (although probably) not the cheapest way to print them is use an AirPrint compatible printer. Apparently there are ways to convert any wireless printer into an AirPrint capable printer, but I've not looked into it.

3. I use the SD adaptor to upload pictures to my iPad. You plug the adaptor in, and slide in the card and the iPad will recognise it, yes.

4. The iPad has multitouch gestures, if that's what you mean. You can pinch to close to get to the home screen, and use a four finger swipe to switch between apps. And yes, the iPad can multitask - that's what iOS devices are renowned for!

I've answered the questions to the best of my knowledge, so there may be some gaps, but I believe them to be largely correct! :D

EDIT: I didn't realise we had been down this path already - apologies, mods.

OP
G
Reaction score
Past is past and i'm sorry if i was rude before. all i want is some help here and i believe in people here to be a very good source of info.

Re: bluetooth question i believe Dropbox is not entirely an app that let's you transfer files via bluetooth. i think it just stores a data. would there be anything else in the App Store that i don't know yet?

Re: printing a PDF or DOC file...without using propreitary Airprint is there another way i can connect a 3rd-party printer via say a 3rd-party cable?

Re: Multitouch & multitasking...I've seen a Macbook Pro function in terms of finger swiping function. can an iPad do that as well?

Also i want to ask about deleting files. with Android they have this file manager folder. and in any app you can delete any file on-the-fly. with the latest iOS version are we able to do that now as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you are going to get the same answers as before. drop it. either buy the iPad, or don't.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Already been discussed. Thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.