iPhone 3GS will not boot

Reaction score
My friend gave me an iphone to try and fix and im having a few problems. The iphone 3gs wont boot. I have tried to restore it put it in DFU mode etc and there has been no joy. My windows and mac won't recognise the device when i plug it into USB ports either.

The iphone will show the apple logo for about two minutes. Then the spinning wheel will show on top of the apple for about 1 minute then it will freeze for another 5 minutes or so. Then the iphone will shut down and then will do the same thing again. There is also a different coloured line above the apple logo.

The iphone was working last week until the computer shut down during a software upgrade. I don't know previous history of the phone. I haven't a clue what version or if it has been jailbreaked as well.

I have tried everything. I have watches hours of youtube tutorials and tried to put the device in different modes. It seems unresponsive. Please Help! Much appreciated if you could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Take it to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
If it is in warranty take it to apple. Try using redsnow to jailbreak it and then see if it works fine with the jailbreak. Then try one last time if that does not work with the jailbreak and then if not you should give up on it and keep it for parts or sell it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.