Question about default state of Remote Management

Reaction score
While trying to resolve an issue with bluetooth/mouse, the sharing window came up. I'm a new iMac owner (switcher) running Lion. In the sharing window, I was surprised to see that, while nothing else was shared, Remote Management *was* turned on. I had recently let a friend use the iMac, so this has me a little worried. Do Macs ship with everything else turned off, but Remote Mgmt on by default, or would it have to have been turned on?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Remote Management is normally off by default. Someone deliberately turned it on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see. OK, thanks. Appreciate the quick response.

No problem. In the future, I recommend enabling the guest account, via the Accounts preference pane. The next time someone wants to use your computer, log out of your account or password lock it, and let them use the guest account. When the guest account is logged out, the system will automatically wipe the guest data off the computer. The guest account is also highly restricted, and cannot make any changes to other accounts on the computer, or any systemwide changes.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's a really good idea. I'll do that. He said he was installing apps that I'd be using, though. Can he do that using the guest account? I'm guessing not, but more generally, I'll definitely use that advice. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a really good idea. I'll do that. He said he was installing apps that I'd be using, though. Can he do that using the guest account? I'm guessing not, but more generally, I'll definitely use that advice. Thanks!

Not in the guest account. Not without being prompted for an admin name and password anyway. What apps has he installed so far? Maybe he installed one that needs the Remote Management on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just something for converting movies. Nothing that seems to need it...

Hmmmm. You know... I hate to sound paranoid for you, but if your friend turned on Remote Management needlessly, then I'd be concerned he installed something like a key logger. Of course it could be he turned it on with the intention of helping you remotely in the future if need be, but he should have said so. Unfortunately, I don't know of a dead easy way to tell you how to look for one. If it is something that you are concerned about then run Activity Monitor; go to File » Save and save a text file of everything is running; then copy/paste the contents into a reply here. We can then look over what's running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.