Maintenance 3.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
If anyone checks out the downloads on the apple website you might know what I'm talking about. There is a download called maintenance 3.1. It seems like a cool little app, but I would like to know what it really does. I have read the scripts for it, but I am a noob to the mac world, and they look like a foreign language to me.

The things this app does are:
1. Repair Permissions
2. Verify Preference files
3. Periodic Cleanup
4. Update Prebindings
5. Clear cache files

If someone could tell me where to find these things and what they do it would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Automatorworld.com said:
Function: Runs a series of system maintenance scripts via the Terminal: Repair Permissions, Verify Preference Files, Run Periodic and Update Prebindings.
Author: Jesse Hogie
Notes: The download contains extensive notes.

Repair Permissions runs through your system permissions and makes sure they are all correct. If something isn’t correct, this could cause your applications not to launch, applications to act strange, and for your system not to start up at all

Verify Preference Files runs through your system preference files and makes sure everything is correct. If something isn’t right, programs might work incorrectly or not launch at all.

Run Periodic runs the built in commands that run during certain times that would update databases and other commands that keep your system stable.

Update Prebindings does just that, updates your prebindings. This may help with a program that might not launch or act strangely.

Thats from the developer's site on what Maintenance 3.1 does

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.