Lion-Safari 5.1.2 & RAM usage

Reaction score
There seems to be a problem that is predictable concerning 5.1.2, with RAM being used up, 8GB, to the point all slows down and I check Activity Monitor to find only 30MB or so is available, but only Safari is running… If I quit Safari nothing changes, until I restart.
Any knowledge on this problem and how to fix this?
Best,
Seth-zephar

OP
Z
Reaction score
I am having same problem and just posted a similar scenario just now. I have iMac 27” with 8GB, and this keeps happening with 5.1.2. I will watch to see who has the answer.
Best,
zephar

OP
Z
Reaction score
Are you saying Ad Blocker is the problem here with 5.1.2 memory? So, disable it, or enable it? Not sure which way you are stating was the fix. Thanks, zepahr

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Safari is known to leak memory worse than a bottle with a hole but it shouldn't be this bad. What kinds of extensions do you have installed? How many tabs do you have opened (what was the max number)? When was the last time you closed and reopened Safari?

OP
Z
Reaction score
I have Ad Block, GmailAddBlock, and just disabled one Amazon extension I had forgotten about that allows a add to wish list button everywhere. I have at most 7 tags open, usually less; and, I some times do leave Safari open… a lot actually. This is unwise? If I close all tabs, and quit Safari the memory usage remains unchanged.
I will check to see if it is in Inactive or Active memory… In any event, I start to get the spinning beach ball, and then check Activity Monitor and shocked to see only a few MB free out of 8GB… Thanks for the answer here my friend. zephar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There seems to be a problem that is predictable concerning 5.1.2, with RAM being used up, 8GB, to the point all slows down and I check Activity Monitor to find only 30MB or so is available, but only Safari is running… If I quit Safari nothing changes, until I restart.
Any knowledge on this problem and how to fix this?

I thought the 5.1.2 version of Safari was supposed to fix the memory issue it had early on when Lion was released. In any event, there are FAR more items running than just Safari at any given time. Next time you find your RAM being eaten up, please post a screen cap of Activity Monitor. Sort using the Real Mem tab and make sure the window has been scrolled so the highest values in that column are showing.

I am reading that some people are needing to kill the Dock in particular via Terminal. That may be the real culprit in your case.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Safari 5.1.2 RAM use go crazy!

OK. I do have a scene shot of Activity Monitor showing >7GB used up. Uh, now how do I send it…? OK, under advanced. Think I have it…
Thank you for the response friend.
Best,
zephar

RAM almost Gone!.png

OP
Z
Reaction score
I will do as you say next time and sort out the windows and show largest values.. this was from last night… zephar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit: Oops.... Nevermind. Lol!

OP
Z
Reaction score
No anti-virus, and I do not have MacKeeper installed, although I did uninstall it some time ago due to its rather rude interface it seemed to me, and always popping up everywhere. I have ONLY firewall active, nothing else. ?
zephar

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If I close all tabs, and quit Safari the memory usage remains unchanged.
If the memory usage remains the same, Safari isn't the problem (or you aren't closing Safari properly).

You may also be misinterpreting the memory values in AM. For all intents and purposes, you can consider inactive memory as being free since, if needed, it will be reallocated to any application that needs it.

EDIT: Merged discussions. Please do not post the same question in multiple places.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
There is an app in the mac app store called free memory try that out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Take another screen shot and upload it with Safari showing in the chart.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Kill the dock? Uh, what do you mean? And how does one ‘Kill the Doc!’? Gads… : )
zephar

OP
Z
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I just bought the app pro version and will give it a spin, when and if the occasion arises. Now that I have in desperation come here, all seems to be behaving. Hmmm…. Well, I shall keep you folks posted, and will do as requested concerning AM, and another screen shot. I want to thank you’al from Texas for such complete and total coverage like you have done. I had no idea it was like this here… most impressive.
Best, zephar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kill the dock? Uh, what do you mean? And how does one ‘Kill the Doc!’? Gads… : )
zephar

We'll tackle that once we know what the culprit is. No sense in sending a kill command for the Dock if it isn't it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.