8gb or 16gb upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
I've been planning to upgrade my 4gb Macbook Pro (early 2011 15" i7) for awhile. Prices on memory upgrades are $45 for 8gb and $240 for 16gb. Is it worth it to spring the extra $200 at this point? (Or perhaps I should save towards an SSD instead). My machine is primarily used for heavy duty photoprocessing in Photoshop and some light video editing in Premiere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, to put this in perspective.. last year when I first saw the 16GB ram upgrade, it was about $1500. When it dropped to it's current price I jumped on it. Nothing like having 40 DNG's open in Ps (from Lr) without bogging the system down to a crawl.

So, my opinion, to paraphrase Ferris Bueller is this... It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
8Gb is plenty of RAM and 16 will just get cheaper. But if you can afford it, then go for it!

I can run PS just fine, no lag with 8 and my SSD ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
8Gb is plenty of RAM and 16 will just get cheaper. But if you can afford it, then go for it!

I can run PS just fine, no lag with 8 and my SSD ;)

Yep, I could run Ps just fine with 8. There's no question about that, at all.

SSD... that's next up for the mbp I think ;)

also probably the iMac...

btw: The reason I did this, for Ps, was large stitched files.. While you can do the whole thing in multiple steps, it's a pain. So... It'll be interesting to see how well this works, I just haven't had a chance to try it out in the last week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Definitely.

The SSD will be a huge performance gain. Boot times are awesome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.