Browsing speed and download speed has gone down suddenly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz dual core,Intel Core i5,4GB,500GB HDD,13.3'', iPhone4
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I really need help. Actually I was using my iPhone4 connecting it to my macbook pro for internet. At the starting browsing speed was excellent as well was the download speed was very much good(unto 3.1 mbps). It was with me for the past 1 month. But suddenly since few days before, my browsing speed is almost dead and the download speed has come to 3.1kbps. Plz guys suggest me and help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You've given very little information about where your connection comes from; which country you're in, which version of iOS, connection provider etc. So it's difficult to be specific but here's a few things to consider/try.

Restart your phone and Mac.

Get the Speed test app installed on your phone. Run the test. Look at the results.
If you get slow speeds it's your mobile data connection that's the issue rather than the connection between phone and Mac.

To tether the iPhone (in most countries) you need a contract/tariff that permits tethering or a paid add-on specifically for tethering.

In many cases this data is limited in quantity (500mb per month, 1gb, 2gb etc). Often once this allowance is used up providers, rather than severing the data completely will restrict the bandwidth.
Also if a provider recognises that tethering is being attempted when the contract/tariff doesn't permit it the connection may be restricted.
Again this is all educated guessing without further, specific, information.

You may also be experiencing an outage at a cell tower, so a look at the provider Service Status page of the website could be helpful.

Finally, once you're happy your hardware is performing OK and that you should be getting a stronger connection a call to your phone provider support may well be the order of the day.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz dual core,Intel Core i5,4GB,500GB HDD,13.3'', iPhone4
Ok buddy, i am from India, I am using 10.7.2 version(Mac) and iOS 5(iPhone4), Its a 3G connection from the service provider without any contract.
Restarted both phone as well as the Mac.

Did the speed test in the phone, its coming 2.07(download) and 0.72(upload)mbps.

My iPhone4 is not under any contract.

I have still got 700mb free to use.

And I more thing to add, the speed is very much good when i am using it only in my phone. It was working fine whenever i used to connect it with my Mac but now its not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You're maybe not under contract exactly but you must pay a provider for the service. The question remains does the tariff you're on support tethering?

If you're phone's getting a reasonable data rate and you're tethered Mac isn't I'd suggest tethering isn't supported and your tethered traffic is being throttled.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks buddy, I will have a check as u told, may be true with the tariff issue.
Thanx again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.