Apple One To One: Worth it?

Reaction score
I bought my first Macbook Pro a few weeks ago and I ended up getting their One To One service which is basically training I can get at any Apple Store. I was wondering what your experiences are with this? Have you found it helpful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What you can get out of One to One is a direct reflection of what you actually put in to it. The person teaching you will generally know a lot about the topics you're going over, but you can't just expect them to do everything for you. Take a notepad with you, or a voice recorder, or whatever method works best for you.. and take notes.

Be proactive about your activities and ask a lot of questions, but try to stay focused on one task at a time. Before you go in, try and figure out what it is you'd like to discuss or learn. You can go over pretty much anything within reason (they're obviously not there to teach you how to use Adobe's CS5 suite).

Is it worth it? If utilized properly, absolutely and without a doubt! Remember that you have to make reservations in advance...

Doug

OP
D
Reaction score
What you can get out of One to One is a direct reflection of what you actually put in to it. The person teaching you will generally know a lot about the topics you're going over, but you can't just expect them to do everything for you. Take a notepad with you, or a voice recorder, or whatever method works best for you.. and take notes.

Be proactive about your activities and ask a lot of questions, but try to stay focused on one task at a time. Before you go in, try and figure out what it is you'd like to discuss or learn. You can go over pretty much anything within reason (they're obviously not there to teach you how to use Adobe's CS5 suite).

Is it worth it? If utilized properly, absolutely and without a doubt! Remember that you have to make reservations in advance...

Doug

Thanks for the reply. I've noticed the same thing. They can only help you with what you have questions about.

C

chas_m

And the more articulate and/or specific you can be with the questions, the better help you'll get. Exactly like here in the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You could also look on apple support forums, buying apple care and calling in, as well as finding a possible mac user group.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks for the reply. I've noticed the same thing. They can only help you with what you have questions about.

I wouldn't go quite that far. A good one to one teacher will be able to just start messing around with OS X, until you say something like.. wow, how did you do that, and what is the benefit of this etc etc..

And remember, one to one isn't just about the operating system, you can learn how to use specific Apple programs such as everything from the iLife suite, to Final Cut Pro and Logic. As long as it has to do with Apple, it's fair game.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
For people brand new to the Mac who aren't that familiar or comfortable with computers in general, I think one to one is a great program. For people more familiar with the Mac and/or PCs in general, you would probably get a little less out of the program. It is a great program for learning the OS, iLife/iWork applications, even iTunes and iCloud now.

Reaction score
Given that One to One is personal training, I suggest you establish clear goals rather than going in cold. Knowing what you want to accomplish with your Mac will help to steer the direction of your training and will ensure that you leave with the knowledge you need. You might consider creating some scenarios to play out with your instructor or projects that you want to work on together. We learn best by doing, after all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.