MBPro via Wifi -> act as hotspot?

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in a dorm where there is no ethernet, so the usual "create network" method does not work for my situation. I have a MBPro that is connected to the building's WiFi but my 4S barely detects this same WiFi and occasionally drops out. I need a method to use the WiFi in my room to setup a hotspot or boost it using a DIR601/Airport.

*Can the Airport Extreme use a WiFi network and then serve as a hotspot for my phone and laptop?

What are my options here to make my iPhone work?

Summary:
-no ethernet, only WiFi
-MBPro connects full strength to building's WiFi
-iPhone 4S weakly detects the building WiFi and drops out
*need to essentialy boost the building's WiFi to my 4S via a hotspot generation or other method.

Thank you.

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to do what you are asking with what you have available. In order to share the network connection through wi-fi you need to have 2 physical interfaces. Typically this is done with Ethernet in and then shared out through wi-fi. You can also do the reverse and have wi-fi in and Ethernet out, but you cannot use one interface for both in and out.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the info.

It just came to my knowledge that the wifi I am connected to is running off an Apple Airport router system. Can I install an Airport Express/Extreme in my room and boost the wifi here, thus solving my problem? Note: I do not have any setup access to the current Airport router that is providing with what little internet access I have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.