Skype DMG wont mount

Reaction score
I have multiple dmg's on my desktop all of which mount except one. Skype.
I am running Mac 10.4.11 and there is multiple articles on the internet where dmg's wouldn't mount but it was too wide ranged. I downloaded an old version of skype for 10.4.11 via mac.old-apps. And the worst part is: Its worked fine in the past. I've mounted it previously but i was new to Mac and never copied the application into the Apps folder. One day i got on and it just wouldn't mount. I would click on it and it would look like it was going to open but it wouldn't.
I have a eMac PowerPC g4 processor if it matters

OP
M
Reaction score
"I've mounted it previously but i was new to Mac and never copied the application into the Apps folder."
I didn't know what it was asking me to do so i would just double click on the icon and Skype would open. Since then I have figured out what it was asking but i cant now because the dmg wont mount. Hence the question.

Reaction score
It might be corrupted. Try downloading it again.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is Skype open? If so then do the following:

Quit out of it and then eject the Skype icon on your desktop. Mount the Skype dmg. Drag and drop into your applications folder.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Try this <= version and see if it works.

C

chas_m

The bottom line problem here is that you are not properly installing applications, you are trying to run them from the disk image, which as you've discovered is not correct.

Sometimes, DMG files mount PKG installers, and sometimes (as with Skype), the disk image opens to a pictorial representation of the program's icon and an alias to your Application folder. Drag the icon to the app folder and it will be copied to your Application folder.

Then you can eject the image and trash the DMG. You don't need them anymore.

From now you, you launch Skype from your Application folder, the Lauchpad if you use it, or by dragging the Application folder Skype icon to the dock and launching it from there.

This applies to all other downloaded programs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Try this <= version and see if it works.

I tried downloading it but when the download finished the icon in the downloads list turned into a white page and so when i click on it it said "Safari can't open the file "Skype" because no available application can open it." I found the downloaded disk image on my desktop and tried to open it but it did the exact same thing it did in my first post.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried downloading it with something other than Safari?

OP
M
Reaction score
nah all I have is Safari and Light Browser bc i couldnt find a browser i liked that supported PPC with 10.4.11
Im currently trying to download using TenFourFox (Firefox)
Nope didn't work. When I opened it from the downloads list though, it said it was verifying and checking volumes and stuff, and at the end it said "Mounting" but when the dialogue box closed, no disk image

Reaction score
Do a get info on the .dmg. Does the 'Open with' say DiskImageMounter?

OP
M
Reaction score
no new posts so am i just gonna have to reinstall my OS or something? i didnt want to have to go that far but there seems to be no other solutions that i could find

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would repair permissions first before doing something so drastic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.