• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Working with AVI files on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15 in MBP, 2.2 i7, 8 GB RAM; iPhone 4; iPad 2 16GB, AT&T
I have a DVD player that plays AVI files with most DivX. Is there a program can change the resolution if need or convert other formats to AVI. Tried Vivideo but it is expensive and does a lot more than I need it to do. Does anybody know another program that i used that is free or less expensive

C

chas_m

Just so I understand, you're saying you have some video files that are NOT in DivX (codec) and AVI (container) and you'd like to convert them to that so you can burn a DivX disc for your DVD player to play? Right?

If so, then you have lots and lots of options. The most brain-dead easiest is to use Roxio's Toast (~$60) -- just drag files of any video type in, specify type of disc you want, wait, done. That's it.

If you prefer to do it more manually, you can use (among others) Adapter, iFFMPEG, Permute, Miro Video Converter, MPEG Streamclip and at least a dozen others. They range in price from free to $15 or so.

Avoid any conversion software that ends in "soft" or "share". These are the product of Chinese spammers.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually my dvd player has a USB port and supports DivX so just need to convert non AVI files sometimes. Also come across files that are AVI but my DVD player does not recognize

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Checked a forum on my DVD player and it seems my original problem was that the video resolution was too high for my player. the max is 720 x 480. Managed to convert the file so it worked with Vivideo but it is overkill for my needs. I tried using Adapter but was not successful. I am getting the impression that the program has to support divx. Do you know if any of the programs do that. Additionally am looking for a program to hardcode subtitles on AVI files.

C

chas_m

The only one I ever saw that did the hardcoding subtitles is FFMPEGX, which still works in Lion (barely) but is really abandonware.

If the files you are trying to work with are available on DVD, just buy the DVD. You will end up saving a HUGE amount of time and frustration in the long run.

PS. AVI is a container, not a format, which is why some AVIs meet the DIVX standard and some don't. Also, 720x480 is the maximum resolution of any standard-definition NTSC DVD player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.