macbook won't recognize xp disc

Reaction score
hey all... trying to install xp on a macbook via boot camp. Boot Camp seems to partition the disk fine, but when i insert the xp disc, the icon does not show up on the desktop and after a little while the macbook ejects it and i get a message saying "installer disc could not be found".
the disc works fine on other computers. and other discs work fine in the macbook in question.

any ideas? would be much much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Is it XP SP2? There is a firmware/EFI issue where you need to be at least SP2 for it to install onto a Mac.

You can slipstream older disks and patch them up to SP2 but it takes some work.
Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2
Google slipstream for other articles.

OP
M
Reaction score
hey Ivan, thanks for your reply. It is SP2. Regardless, shouldn't the mac at least detect the disc either way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of XP SP2 disk is it? Microsoft boxed copy? OEM System Builder's version? Sony, Dell, HP, Acer, etc, kind of disk? Recovery version?

Also note that the XP SP2 disk must be a full install version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if it is a late MB Windows 7 is the only version that will install. Always helps if you provide computer details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.