MacBook Pro Case Scratches...Repairable?

Reaction score
Just dove into the world of Mac today by buying a early 2010 i5 15" MacBook Pro from a local Craigslist seller. It was an amazing deal...and the machine is in great shape, except for some minor scratches on the top and some more serious scratches (not gouges or dents) on the base from two years of college abuse.

Can Apple rework and repair these scratches at either an Apple store or by mailing the laptop directly to Apple? Would the price scare me?

Hope it can be done and relatively inexpensively because I love the Mac, but can't afford a ton on repairs.

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, let's think about this. The surface texture is applied by an electrolytic passivation (it's anodized) that would require removing the guts of the case, redoing it, then reassembling the entire thing. So, the short answer is.. nope. It wouldn't be cheap.

OP
davistld01
Reaction score
Well, let's think about this. The surface texture is applied by an electrolytic passivation (it's anodized) that would require removing the guts of the case, redoing it, then reassembling the entire thing. So, the short answer is.. nope. It wouldn't be cheap.

Ugh!!! That's sure not what I wanted to hear. :(

Reaction score
Get a nice Incase or Speck case for it and protect it going forward. I have an Incase on mine and I love it, protects it and gives you a better grip.

OP
davistld01
Reaction score
Get a nice Incase or Speck case for it and protect it going forward. I have an Incase on mine and I love it, protects it and gives you a better grip.

Thanks. Looking into that today, matter of fact.

Also was pleasantly suprised to find that I have over a year of AppleCare still left on the Mac that I got switched into my name by my very helpful Apple customer service tech guy. He recommended that I take it to my local Apple service center, and that they might be able to handle it under the warranty with a upper case replacement or something. I'm hopeful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thanks. Looking into that today, matter of fact.

Also was pleasantly suprised to find that I have over a year of AppleCare still left on the Mac that I got switched into my name by my very helpful Apple customer service tech guy. He recommended that I take it to my local Apple service center, and that they might be able to handle it under the warranty with a upper case replacement or something. I'm hopeful!

There ya go! Yes, it is great that AppleCare is transferable :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.