Airport extreme wireless help, recently turned incredibly slow

mpt

Reaction score
I've had an airport extreme for 2 months now and everything was great. About 4 days ago my internet connection turned very slow. When transferring files wirelessly to my wired NAS everything goes pretty much as normal. Every computer or iPhone, iTouch etc is equally as slow when surfing wirelessly. There seems to be no slow down if I surf wired. Here is my setup:

Airport extreme 7.6
iMac i7 running 10.7.2

When I ran a speed test here was my results
800ms ping; 4.3 kbps download; .100 kbps upload

When I connect my modem directly to the computer here are my results
50ms ping; 18.3 kbps download; .440 kbps upload.
(roughly same results were found when connecting my computer wired to router)

So obviously its not my ISP; here are other things I have already tried:
Soft reset of router
Factory reset of router
Restoring router firmware to 7.5.2
Changing channels on router
Changing MTU values
Adding DNS values of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

All have been completely unsuccessful.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? I can't just run wired as my computer is almost 50 feet from my router, but distance isn't the problem either because if I sit right beside the router with my macbook I get the same results. I have all three bars of connectivity.

Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you should not be adding ANY DNS values. Those should come from the ISP through their own DHCP servers to your router.

Take it back to the Factory Reset, redo the Firmware upgrade, then just let it come up without going in and making any changes. No channels, no MTU no DNS.

OP
M

mpt

Reaction score
So I tried downgrading the firmware, then did a factory reset, then upgraded to the latest firmware. My ping is still very slow and I continue to fail any upload test.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
delete all the connections to it on all the devices and reconnect as if you have never connected before. Even put a reboot in on the PCs. It is entirely possible you have a bad unit.

Other than that, if it is still under warranty, call Apple. This is what the 800 number is for.

Just a thought, and nothing is meant to the OP, but...
I am amazed at the number of people who have been having issues with the Airport Extremes - at least the newest batch. I have not had an ounce of trouble from mine, even adding 2 Airport Expresses for printing and Airplay with a 3rd one planned for another printer on the lower level. And I have it customized to the max with reservations, custom channels and the 5GHz, Normal and Guest networks set up and running. When doing a planning session at the house, the first time the director and one of the other editors came over, they loved that they could login to the guest network and it actually work without jumping through hoops. The last place we got together it took us 30 minutes plus a router reboot to get everyone talking.

I will give this bit of advice to anyone who has a working router - regardless of brand or type - make a backup of your configuration and save it somewhere accessible and safe. If you ever have an issue or have to replace your router (with the same model) you can take the factory setup, plug into it with the config file on the machine and restore your custom config and be back up and running in moments. I save IPs for certain MAC addresses (not Mac) as I run certain services on the network so while I still need to run DHCP, I always want the same IP.

OP
M

mpt

Reaction score
3 weeks ago it seemed to automatically fixed itself, i'm not sure what I did to change anything. Then it was working fine until a few days ago, then again its back to the same old sluggish self. Its quite frustrating.

Reaction score
Airport extreme slows connection

Yah - same problem here. Was on the phone with Apple support and they told me to take the unit into the Apple store (100 miles away) to test it and see if it's the unit (which I believe it is).

No matter what I do - reboot to factory settings - shut down everyone but me - internet speed skyrockets to full blast, then over a 10-15 minute period slows down to painfully slow speeds.

I'm half way tempted to buy another from Amazon and then if it works, send it back and get the one I have now repaired under Apple Care, but that penalizes Amazon - NO WAIT, that penalizes Apple since they have to take back the unit and refurb it.

I don't know but it's a real PITA! At least my Cisco router just crapped out (after about three years) - that was an easy fix.

Sigh
John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.