Map network drive and username folder

Reaction score
Hi Guys - great forum been a bit of a lurker for sometime now and thought i'd make a post as ive run into a little problem.

we have about 20 Macs on our network and we currently have Mac OS X server 10.5 running the variuos bits and bobs.

What im trying to achive is this

on each workstation i want to auto map a network drive / folder so it also reads this specific to username

I.e so if user chill3r logs into workstation one it will auto map my drive / folder called chill3r from the homes drive we have setup on the server - so username matches the users folder ?

ths can be achived in windows very easy using the %username% Variable but how can i achive this in the Mac server / networking world ?

ive tried using applescript and it seems to map the area up until the homes drive but doesnt map the actual folder :'( - can somebody point me in the right direction for this.

Thanks you kind People of Mac forums .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Did you manually setup these folders?

You usually set-up home folders in the workgroup manager on OSX server

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

We have the homes directorys setup this was done before i arrived on site so im not to sure - each folder in there reflects a user and there work - just need to map the username folder for that user and maybe make it available on the desktop

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You need to map a users server directory in workgroup manager on the server

Then the directory will be viewable when the login to the server.

I will test it out on our work network tomorrow and see if it is easy to get the home folder to auto mount

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the reply - ive been doing a bit of research and i can seem to map the Homes folder auto - but it doesnt pick up the users Folder specific to there Mac username - I'll do a little more digging and testing and hopefully ill come up with something - ill keep the post updated to help others

OP
C
Reaction score
Well ive been doing some fiddling and ive taken all the portable / syn home drive options that are bound to the group our test account in and also taken the peferences off the account also so the test account doesnt use any preferences set by Server Manager - I've fired up access manager and check the use portable drive options and map Home drives on login etc - in theory this should map the AD account to the Mac account home drive - well thats what you would of thought - i have also changed the default protocol to AFP as it was set the samba.

our home drivers are hosted on a sharepoint on our Mac server.

I'll test this tomorrow as i didnt have time tonite and report back my findings -

Also,

I set a normal Mac account it (thats not being pulled from AD) and this works spot on maps everything and even sync's the home drive fine - so i think somewhere the AD binding is broken - ill do somemore fidling about and update the thread

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.