iMac immediately shuts off after powerup

Reaction score
I've searched the forums--forgive me if I looked over this exact problem.

Computer details:
2009 iMac Desktop
Serial: W87310J2VGP
iMac 24/2
16/2x1gb
128vram/250/50

My problem is that my iMac desktop immediately turns off after I press the power button. It won't turn back on unless I unplug it from the outlet and plug back in. Rinse, repeat--same thing. It turns on for approximately 2 seconds (Nothing on the screen, not even a flash)--and turns right back off. Perhaps it's important to note that it will not do anything unless I unplug from the wall, plug right back in, then I only get the 2 seconds of start up.

So very desperate for help here. This is my work computer--which ultimately they will fix--but I have my dissertation on this computer and desperately need to access it. Any help/suggestions would be SO VERY appreciated!

Yes, I realize this may be a hardware issue--but I'm so inexperienced that I decided to hope it was software. If this needs to be placed in the correct forum, can a mod please move it?

Running list of things I've tried:
- Resetting SMC does not work/help.
- Removing and reinstalling RAM.

UPDATE: So, I decided (at random, under no advice) to hold the power button the next time I tried. I held the power button and kept it held even after one long loud beep and the apple logo appeared with the spinning wheel. I let go.. and BOOM it started up fine.

Is this firmware associated? One long beep when power button is held?

Can anyone tell me if I should still have my computer checked out?

OP
U
Reaction score
Tried SMC reset. No luck. --I have it unplugged from everything now, intend on waiting a while before trying again. (no clue if that's necessary)

Held power button down while turning on--heard one long beep let go when I saw apple logo. Booted fine. Firmware? :Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not firmware. Sounds more like a hardware error. Have your IT folks look at the machine and trouble shoot it for you. They can always get your dissertation off the hard drive by removing the disk from the machine and using an adapter or carrier to read from it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.