Is there such a thing as a 3G upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I have an iPad 2 with wi-fi but no 3G. At the time that I bought it, I was under the impression that the 3G bit would be mostly used to hold face-to-face conversations with friends and family but we don't do that sort of thing. Nor do we do 1,000 texts each day or walk around the town centre with our iPads in our hands phoning people to tell them about the SALE at Burger King and other such waffle.
But I now find that not being connected to the internet is a bummer when trying to use iTunes to watch films. So, is it possible to upgrade from iPad 2 with wi-fi to iPad 2 with wi-fi and 3G?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Not by itself. Consider getting a Wifi Hotspot like a Mifi. Then you can actually have a 4G iPad (And whatever else you get that is Wifi) It is more expensive than the 3G plan available through the built in 3G. (But as I understand it 3G/4G in England is spotty so it may not be applicable.)

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Thanks Ivan,
I think that I have spent enough on gizmos and gadgets to last me a year or so, lol. Maybe best if I just organise myself better and do the iTunes stuff while connected at home.
I was kinda hoping that I could use my iPad 2 + an iPhone connected in some way like we used to connect Windows laptops to the internet using a mobile phone's modem.
Ah well. That's what you get for thinking that Apple would make life simple.
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you have a hotspot feature enabled on your iPhone then you should be able to just hook up like a hotspot from the iPad. Usually carriers charge you more to do this - in the U.S. for certain carriers it is almost as much as buying a separate hotspot.

There are jail breaking software that can bypass this. That being said, AT&T sent letters to subscribers that they would be charged thethering fees even though they were doing it through the jailbreak software so take going down that route with a grain of salt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.