"Please enter your keychain password"..what is this?

Reaction score
I keep getting this dialogue box popping up asking me for my password. At the bottom, it says "Mac OS X wants to use keychain 'System'". What is this for? When I click on details it says 'Keychain:System.Keychain, then under tool:airport.

Please help, Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
As far as I know, it wants your administrator password in order to access the keychain, presumably to access any Airport Express or Extreme base station you have hooked up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, that is correct. The system is trying to access a stored password but needs you to enter your password before it can access it. Your password is the one you set when set up you account on your mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I tried entering the only password I use / used and it does not take it. Still confused.
:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is it the same password you use when you log onto your Mac?

J

jjf

I'm getting the same message every time I restart. I first got the message immediately after upgrading to OS 10.4.2.

I've only ever used one password with my iBook, and it won't take that password. Funny thing is: (1) my password continues to work for other admin tasks (to add new users, change my Windows workgroup name, or lock or unlock certain settings, for some example); and (2) my not being able to supply the password OS X wants doesn't seem to lock me out of doing anything. My iBook is still perfectly functional, other than this weird message at the beginning.

Anyone know what it is?

OP
R
Reaction score
baggss said:
Is it the same password you use when you log onto your Mac?

Well, I don't use a password to log into my account. I have three acounts. 1 for me, 1 for my girlfriend, and 1 administrators account for system mods. The two user accounts (me and gf) have no passswords, except the administrators account. There's only one password to access the entire network and anything else.

...problem still persists...

Thanks for all the help....let me know if you turn up anything else....

J

jjf

I'm still having the problem, too, only today it's started asking for that password every time I open the lid of my iBook (which brings it out of sleep mode).

Any other ideas? Any Mac pro's out there?

(One of the weirdly ironic benefits, if you want to call it that, of using a PC is that problems are so common that whenever you have one, finding a solution is usually not difficult.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
you might have the "require password to wake computer" security feature on. Go to your system prefrences and go to security. Check (or uncheck) that the require password to wake computer is off.

OP
R
Reaction score
iWonder said:
you might have the "require password to wake computer" security feature on. Go to your system prefrences and go to security. Check (or uncheck) that the require password to wake computer is off.

I just checked this in System Preferences....and it's unchecked. I just got the dialogue box requesting for my password again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.