merge partitions

Reaction score
hi community,

I've been following the forum for a while and only just now decided to join in, after spending hours sorting through suggestions and trying to fix my wife's iMac. I am hoping that I can get some much needed guidance regarding how to restore my HDD to one single partition. (Mac in question: 2.4 Core 2 Due iMac, probably from 2008)

When I bought this iMac for my wife, she was skeptical about the switch. To ease her into the world of Mac, we partitioned the HDD and installed Windows through Boot Camp. She quickly made the transition and no longer access the Windows and I've been trying to re-merge the two separate partition ever since !!! (sad, i know~)

What I have tried:
-erase the partition (using FAT32) and using Boot Camp Assistant to 'restore' the HDD into one volume

What I got:
-error message after hitting restore : there was an error and you cannot restore the volume.

What I have now:
one huge 125GB of free space that's inaccessible unless I convert it to a MS extended journaled drive.

thank you for taking the time and respond to this post.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
**** If you can, back-up first ****

You don't say which version of OSX you're using but, assuming it's not Lion you need to boot from your OSX DVD, choose your language (you're not going to re-install OSX) and then from the Top Menu (Utilities) start Disk Utility.

From here you should now be able to delete the bootcamp partition (select the partition hit the minus then drag the dividing line between your mac OS partition and the empty space to make it a single partition then hit apply.

OP
P
Reaction score
thank you, but...

I did attempt to solve my problem via disk utility (both when I was running 10.6 and now Lion); use the minus button to get rid of the partition; but somehow I cannot move the dividing line between the two space in the layout window. I also tried to manually change the start up disk size (type in the full size) and nothing happened.

any other suggestion? much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Bootcamp Assistant in Utilities and on page 2 is the option to remove Windows and this will remove the partition. You cannot remove the partition by Disk utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.