If you were looking to buy a used..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
Hey all,

If you were looking to buy a used iPad(1st generation) or used iPod Touch.. how would you go about making sure you are not getting a stolen item?(have been looking on craigslist and just not sure how to check)
I already have a iPad 2 for me, but really want to get my son something used for himself so he can play his apps. I really am leaning towards a iPod Touch(cheaper! and he is only 3 years old!) but my husband wants a iPad 1st generation. I just don't want to buy something then find out it is stolen..

Any advise appreciated!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a good question. I'm not sure there is a way you can check other than ask the seller for his/her original sales receipt. Apple does not track stolen items and the police would probably only have the serial numbers of those items that were stolen and reported to them.

Probably best to buy from someone you know or from a merchant who is reputable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
The other way would be to have a computer handy when picking it up. Find out when it was purchased. The original owner should be able to narrow it down to the month without an issue.

Then check the hardware serial number at Apple's site:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

The service expiration date matches the purchase date, just the year is different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.