How many modules of memory in 13" macbook?

Reaction score
Thought I would see if anybody new if a 4gb 13" macbook pro would have 2 modules or one 4gb module. If I want to upgrade to 8gb do I need to buy two 4gb modules regardless of what is in there now.

Do I need to buy "Apple" memory at $400 for two modules or will an off brand work just as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Don't waste your money on RAM from Apple. They don't make it anyway. Go to
Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

or

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

and either look up your model, or run the memory adviser on Crucials site.

Almost without exception (as in I've NEVER seen it), MBP's have two slots.. both are populated. So a 4GB machine, would have 2 2GB sticks. Of course, your system profiler would show you this too.

OP
K
Reaction score
Great information, thanks! I have 4gb in my system and they say its possible to upgrade to 16gb with two 8gb dimms. Its $240 for 16gb and $120 8gb. The question is should I go with 8 or 16...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
16! hahah. 8 is plenty but if you need 16 and can afford it then go right ahead. I run Final cut, aperture, photoshop and my system runs great with 8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Great information, thanks! I have 4gb in my system and they say its possible to upgrade to 16gb with two 8gb dimms. Its $240 for 16gb and $120 8gb. The question is should I go with 8 or 16...?
mikeMBP:~ mike$ /usr/sbin/system_profiler SPHardwareDataType
Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B24
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

Yep, it does work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.